PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Just received this Sasieni "Ruff Root". To me the blast is fascinating. The box lid is a certain color of green reminiscent of the 30s or 40s, in my mind. My guess would be that this pipe dates from between 1935 and 1950, but I figure there are people on this forum who'd have a more precise answer. Maybe ??

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I would suggest flowers and a nice cafe spot for a drink and people watching, be sure to compliment it.

or look here

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Correct, the details in the nomenclature will dictate the age/era.
My guess is what I call Family Era - after 1946. Then, the nomenclature didn't change until the company was sold again, after 1979.

I suspect yours reads like this Ruff Root example, which is Sasieni’s sandblast finish. Since this pipe has the town name, but no patent number, it is from the 1946 to 1979 era.
Four Dot
Town name - Ashford
Football COM
No patent number
Sasieni script

Boxes and tobacciana are helpful - but unless the original purchaser has documentation, you rarely know if it is the box that Sasieni shipped with the pipe. Shops routinely mixed up boxes, as they weren't that important to buyers in that era. And Sasieni has less documentation on packaging than some of the other famous British makers.

1689095884675.png

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Correct, the details in the nomenclature will dictate the age/era.
My guess is what I call Family Era - after 1946. Then, the nomenclature didn't change until the company was sold again, after 1979.

I suspect yours reads like this Ruff Root example, which is Sasieni’s sandblast finish. Since this pipe has the town name, but no patent number, it is from the 1946 to 1979 era.
Four Dot
Town name - Ashford
Football COM
No patent number
Sasieni script

Boxes and tobacciana are helpful - but unless the original purchaser has documentation, you rarely know if it is the box that Sasieni shipped with the pipe. Shops routinely mixed up boxes, as they weren't that important to buyers in that era. And Sasieni has less documentation on packaging than some of the other famous British makers.

View attachment 232772
Yup, this is it exactly. Of course the town name is different. Thank you.

Reactions: ssjones