Anybody Find Small Pipes a PIA to Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
No issues for me with small pipes, other than it feels like they're done just when the going was getting good. I save 'em for strong shags and short smoking time windows, but when the choice is available, I prefer being able to leisurely enjoy a larger bowl instead.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
If no other variables are permitted, a smaller diameter chamber will have to draw more air past any given point within that chamber within the same period of time.

Think about it:
If two pipes are identical in every respect except that one chamber has twice the circumference of the other, and if exactly 10 units of air are drawn through each pipe in exactly 5 seconds, then any given point within the larger bowl gets half as much air moving past it over that 5 seconds as any given point within the smaller bowl gets over that same period of time.

This means that, all other things being equal, the smaller bowl's tobacco will be stoked hotter.

Perhaps this is why many prefer to smoke folded flakes in smaller diameter bowls: the same draw is given more "leverage" to stoke the more densely packed (and therefore more difficult to burn) tobacco.

Experienced smokers don't notice this only because of their well honed muscle memory. They subconsciously adjust draw, pace, etc. to various smoking situations (bowl, tobacco, etc.).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a flake, plug and rope smoker and my pipe collection except for 2 pipes are all group 4-5. I get 2 hours of smoking pleasure most of the time. I own 2 group 6 pipes that I smoke 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed in. I never liked small pipes, they just don't work for me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m probably the bigger odd ball when it comes to smoking.

I’ll start it out this way, at first I use to really try and learn how to keep a pipe lit for as long as possible, but then all the tabac never tasted as good, constantly lit and puffing. Then I saw a video of Former, constantly lighting his pipe over, and I was like, if Former is always letting it go out and relighting, hey no worries.

Because I’m as slow as a turtle when it comes to smoking, a little 29mm chamber depth pipe, I can smoke 4-6 hours, I just take a few sips, let it go out and cool down, and repeat.

Another reason I go slow, constant puffing isn’t comfortable on my mouth, tastes start becoming bland, and I loose all the various tastes and nuances in a blend. Think of it like this, sipping fine wine as in wine tasting, or chugging a beer. Constant puffing keeping the pipe lit is like chugging beer to me, while I get some tastes out of it, the experience is to rushed to notice all the subtleties.

When we say smoking a pipe, I guess we are all considering the pipe is constantly lit and being smoked. I pack a pipe, sip it, let it go out and repeat, whereas, I only sip a few times over the course of an hour, that’s why my smoking is so long.

Here’s all my chamber depths on my 4 briars:

If I had a chamber any deeper than 42mm I’d be smoking the pipe for several days before I finished.

Radice Rind Straight - I smoke all day - 42mm
Peterson Newgrange Spigot - I smoke all day - 41mm
Dr. Grabow Commodore 65 Zulu - I smoke all day - 38mm
Bay Denmark Apple - Haven’t smoked yet, but it’s like a 4-6 hour size for me. - 29mm

To answer the question, I am a small pipe smoker/lover, but I guess in truth my Bay at 29mm is considered small, whereas my other pipes at 38mm-42mm aren’t.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
In general I find small pipes and larger pipes both have their nuances, but both sizes, I have found, will perform nicely for me. However, I do have a handful of pipes that are of Eastern European origin that, while of normal sizes and shape in terms of exterior dimensions, have a purposefully very small inner chamber size….. perhaps the width of a larger diameter pencil. I presume the design is meant to help in rationing pipe tobaccos when supplies were scarce. These very narrow chambers on an otherwise beautiful pipe….. are not as enjoyable for use in smoking for me. Although they have a nice appearance, I seldom rotate them into the pipes I use regularly.

I’m late to this, but I like all sized pipes. My smallest has a .50” diameter chamber, and I’m not sure I’d want one smaller. My largest is a 1” chamber. My smallest pipes are Savinelli Piumas, well made, and I don’t have any problems keeping lit.
In the past, I’ve used a vehicle analogy. Pipes being like cars, trucks, and 18 wheelers, all with their own characteristics and their own different ways they like to be driven. And, I enjoy learning each and smoking each in the ways that make them all perform the best. I just don’t expect a VW beetle to perfom the same as an F150.

I’m sorry yours is giving you troubles.

I’m probably the bigger odd ball when it comes to smoking.

I’ll start it out this way, at first I use to really try and learn how to keep a pipe lit for as long as possible, but then all the tabac never tasted as good, constantly lit and puffing. Then I saw a video of Former, constantly lighting his pipe over, and I was like, if Former is always letting it go out and relighting, hey no worries.

Because I’m as slow as a turtle when it comes to smoking, a little 29mm chamber depth pipe, I can smoke 4-6 hours, I just take a few sips, let it go out and cool down, and repeat.

Another reason I go slow, constant puffing isn’t comfortable on my mouth, tastes start becoming bland, and I loose all the various tastes and nuances in a blend. Think of it like this, sipping fine wine as in wine tasting, or chugging a beer. Constant puffing keeping the pipe lit is like chugging beer to me, while I get some tastes out of it, the experience is to rushed to notice all the subtleties.

When we say smoking a pipe, I guess we are all considering the pipe is constantly lit and being smoked. I pack a pipe, sip it, let it go out and repeat, whereas, I only sip a few times over the course of an hour, that’s why my smoking is so long.

Here’s all my chamber depths on my 4 briars:

If I had a chamber any deeper than 42mm I’d be smoking the pipe for several days before I finished.

Radice Rind Straight - I smoke all day - 42mm
Peterson Newgrange Spigot - I smoke all day - 41mm
Dr. Grabow Commodore 65 Zulu - I smoke all day - 38mm
Bay Denmark Apple - Haven’t smoked yet, but it’s like a 4-6 hour size for me. - 29mm

To answer the question, I am a small pipe smoker/lover, but I guess in truth my Bay at 29mm is considered small, whereas my other pipes at 38mm-42mm aren’t.
Umm. That's cheating. :)

If we play that way I have had this little Silver Gray Derby that holds 1.7 grams last me 2 days. So there!
Silver Derby.jpg

Please notice my tongue pressed firmly against my cheek... puffy

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Depends to a certain extent on the tobacco, but my range is typically between a group 2 and a group 4. When I first started smoking I tended to buy larger pipes, the thinking being why buy a small pipe when for around the same price I could get a larger pipe. But I found that the pipes that I typically reached for were in the range above, so most of the large pieces of wood have been sold. I've kept a few of the larger ones that were part of a collecting theme.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have some small pipes that are very short in length that would probably fall into the nose warmer category. My biggest problem with them is having the lighter flame too close to my face when lighting them. I have a number of French pipes from the late '50s with very small chambers. I've designated these for trying different single leaf tobaccos for blending. Generally, I prefer larger bowls for enjoyment/relaxing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
I love small pipes, I have some chaper ones that I bought to try and I was surprised how comfortable they feel (of course, they weight nothing) and how well they smoke, plus they smoke pretty fast so they're perfect if you don't have at least 30 mins...
I have 2 peterson small calabashes that I am comsidering replacing with full size pipes.
Actually you have the pipe(s) I'm looking for, if you lived in Europe I'd definitely ask you if you want to sell them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.