Anybody have one of those forever stems?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Ive been looking into them for my cob for a year now, not sure if they are worth the money, or i should just keep spending the 75 cents a month for those cruddy plastic ones for my cob. Not sure whether to go vulcanite or lucite.
Any suggestions

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
yes i have one.they are nice.when your cob burns out put the forever stem in another cob

well made and much nicer than the cheap stems that come with the cobs.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've never used a Forever Stem, but Dave at Walker Briar Works has worked on several of my pipes and his workmanship is outstanding.
On one hand, spending $4 on a $5 pipe seems a bit like throwing good money after bad. But I guess since it's "forever" you could reuse it on all your cobs.
Obviously I'm not a Cob Guy, so maybe it's something I just don't "get".
Lucite vs vulcanite is a personal preference; only you know what you prefer.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Whoops... Forever Stems are not $4, they're closer to $20 (I was looking at the shipping costs).
Is putting a $20 stem on a $5 pipe like putting alloy wheels on a Yugo?

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
yes it`s worth it,forever stem on the right.

PB210001.jpg

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
should just keep spending the 75 cents a month for those cruddy plastic ones

@jchaplick

Wow, you must be one hella clencher my friend! (-;

My oldest cob is going on 2 years of close to daily use just now, same stem it came with.
I do like the idea of Walkers forever stems though. The 2 3/4" lucite spear stems they offer for a cob always struck me as a good idea. I'd like to get a couple for my Diplomat cobs but I keep buying tobacco instead.
a_Lucite-Spear-Tort-Thumb.jpg

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Im not too much of a clencher with regular pipe stems, i actually rarely just hold them in my mouth, just smething about those cob stems i like to bite hard on them and then they fit to my teeth and i then clench the hell out of them.
Just a bad habit i guess

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I have two forever stems, both on CGs: a straight toroise and a 4.5" bent semi-cobwarden in butterscotch. I cant recommend them more highly. I also recommend Dave for repair work.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Sothron, can you post a link??
I love my cobs but do not like the plastic stems. I don't destroy them but I don't like them either. I think the forever stem is a really good idea for cobs, especially if you smoke them a lot. I'm about to order a couple of diplomats and a couple of Great Danes. A forever stem will be high on my list, after Christmas

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
[/quote]Is putting a $20 stem on a $5 pipe like putting alloy wheels on a Yugo?
It's like putting one set of alloy wheels on every car you own for the rest of your life!!
I have 2 of the Forever Stems ( 4in Black straight & 3.5in tortoise bent) and I love how they enhance the cob experience! I wholeheartedly recommend them!

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I got one. Well worth the money. I'm pretty sure most folks don't smoke cobs because of the cheap stems. The cobs smoke well, but the stem feels terrible in your mouth after a few smokes.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Thanks rickpal. Of course I went and found it seconds after I posted the question. If I had a brain...

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I've been meaning to get one. A good vulcanite stem would be so much better than the dinky yellow plastics that come with my local MM Legends. Especially cause folks keep asking if I'm smoking "one of those electric pipes"?

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
I love my forever stem...way better than the plastic, I think its worth it if you like to smoke cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.