Anyone Ever Had to Learn Everything Again?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Radice Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
48 Fresh Chacom Pipes
35 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
24 Fresh Rattray's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've admittedly been away from the pipe for a while, a long while. Lots of changes in the past few years have made free time a rare resource.

Anyway, had a neighbour over the other night and put some Afternoon Delight in an estate Nording I had and it was  Comical. I could not keep it lit to save my life, and there was no taste from it, aside from ash.

Fast forward to today, filled up a new cob and same thing. No taste, burned hot, couldnt keep it lit. It was frustrating.

I feel like I've forgotten everything I've learned from this forum the past few years. Maybe I should start a new profile and introduce myself. Anyone else have this learning drop off?

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
You'll be fine. Stay at it. I'm lucky to get a few bowls in on the weekends. I'm envious of people who get to smoke multiple per day. So even though I've been smoking for a few years I still am a complete rookie. My palate sucks compared to the reviews you read all over the place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's been a long stretch of smoking for me, so I haven't had a hiatus. However, I have noticed that good pipe smoking goes in cycles. My technique and know how remains about the same, I suppose, but sometimes things seem "off" for weeks at a time with no really good smokes, and then I'll hit the zone again for a while and I can't go wrong.

That seems true of many aspects of life.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Welcome back if you’ve been away.

I got back into pipes about 3 years ago, all I can say, is that I just now feel like I’m somewhat capable of smoking expensive high end pipes without wrecking them.

But then there are days, where I wonder if I am really capable.

I never try to keep a pipe lit, maybe at the most a minute. I don’t know if it’s just my palate. Most blends I smoke range in complexity, and I swear, they never taste good keeping them always lit.

3 years later, every blend I’ve smoked, and smoking at present, tastes the best, when I barely light it, only take a few sips, let it go out, cool down repeat. This style/process of smoking, I rarely, if ever hear others speak about smoking the same, which then makes me wonder about my skill level, or I have a better/sensitive palate that appreciates, and notices more smoking this way. hmm 🤔

Anyhow, there’s always ups and downs! I’m sure you know very well how to smoke a pipe. LOL 😆

P.S. This might help... ;)

D94CC7F9-DEA1-47A0-AB04-4F05FAE42F11.jpeg

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Rarely smoke pipe now days. I'm sure pipe is better than cig, but 45 min exposure to nicotine isn't what I'm looking for. But so far haven't forgotten how to smoke pipe. Had one like a week or two ago. Only thing different was amount of dottle. I didn't fuss about like I used to, and didn't dry long. But taste was there.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Been there Mike. After my knee replacement with some minor complications last November, I didn't smoke a pipe for about 6 months. I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Reactions: newbroom
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Some of the best practices we discuss here feel counterintuitive, so a great smoke never just falls into place for me. It’s always a matter of drying the tobacco more than feels right, taking smaller sips than I want, less often than I want, trying to make less visible smoke than you see in movies, etc.

Basically, I suck at all of this, but my experiences always point to the potential of something greater. puffy