PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
A couple of my early Savinelli Punto Oro pipes are missing their inner tubes (or only have a partial remnant). I thought about ordering the Dunhill tubes for them, but ended up ordering aluminum and brass tubing from Amazon; hopefully the two different diameters will fit. I measured with a micrometer, but I haven’t gotten around to testing the fit yet.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
A couple of my early Savinelli Punto Oro pipes are missing their inner tubes (or only have a partial remnant). I thought about ordering the Dunhill tubes for them, but ended up ordering aluminum and brass tubing from Amazon; hopefully the two different diameters will fit. I measured with a micrometer, but I haven’t gotten around to testing the fit yet.
Looks like that's what I'll be doing. Hopefully it isn't one of Dunhills more ridiculous patents. Not sure what a spring flange tube is, but I imagine the standard will fit.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Measure carefully. Britain was not using the metric system at the time of that patent. Could be 3mm (.1182 inch) or 1/8" (3.17mm).

The switch officially was in 1965, and I'm sure no shops just wholesale threw out tooling or materials to comply right away.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My 1926 Dunhill was missing the innertube when it was given to me and I haven't missed it.
But I'm one of "those" who don't use the filters for the pipes designed for them.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I find the restricted draw of the tube to be unpleasant. And it doesn't really help keep the draft hole clean. But, to each his own.
I agree with You and admit ,those innertubes are useless despite the fact that grand majority of contemporary White Spot Dunhills still are drilled to accept innertubes, likewise many older British made strainght billards were equipped with those innertubes

Reactions: mingc

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I have a few extras. One from the 20s and 1 from the 30s. A few from 60s on. Not perfect condition, but presentable in keeping something complete.

Attachments

• IMG_1824.jpeg
    IMG_1824.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1825.jpeg
    IMG_1825.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1826.jpeg
    IMG_1826.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 6