PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I found this interesting “beast”. Anyone recognize it?

Attachments

• IMG_8044.jpeg
    IMG_8044.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 33

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Over the years I have seen a number of "bull" pipes like that in various antique malls around the south. Either that are there is just one pipe and it travels from antique mall to antique mall.

I personally never have had the urge to buy one.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
No telling who carved that pipe. Maybe it's from an anonymous carver. The was a guy who spent years in a POW camp on Bataan that carved animal figure heads into bowls of pipes. Don't remember him doing one of these.

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I have a similar style briar pipe that I purchased at a Pipe Show back in Chicago about 30/35 years ago. It's never been smoked, but I like the oddness of it. It has "MARXMAN" & Made in Italy" stamped on it. It is 6" long and a big piece of Briar. A few photos below:

MVC-001S.JPGMVC-001S.JPG

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I have a similar style briar pipe that I purchased at a Pipe Show back in Chicago about 30/35 years ago. It's never been smoked, but I like the oddness of it. It has "MARXMAN" & Made in Italy" stamped on it.
That vaguely reminds of something I read on this very site. What you may have there, sir, is possibly one of the greatest smoking pipes ever to exist, made of pure Algerian briar, the finest on the planet. If I'm not mistaken, a pipe exactly like that was smoked by the late great Saint Coprophagous, the One-Eyed of Chad. No stranger to a class act, he was often seen sporting it in some of the best bordellos in the world. Could it be the same one, I wonder?