PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
I have a 1937 Detrola 110 tombstone radio, still works but I dismantled it to clean up decades of gummed-on tobacco smoke and dust. Also want to replace the original wax paper capacitors with modern caps.

I also collect and restore pressure lanterns and oddball oil lamps. The lamp pictured is an 1884 Rochester, the first really successful center-draft kerosene lamp made in the States.
Jim, how about some pressure lamp pictures! I have a few. Ok, a bunch. Some stoves too but I’m not really a stovie.

Reactions: Jim Sobie

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I was 45 I got the urge to repair something with the lawnmower. So I took off the top, and peering down into the engine, I saw many parts, and I had no idea what they did or how to remove them such that I could get at the problem. In fact, I don't think I ever identified a problem; I just had a a symptom, probably something along the lines of "she don't corner like she used to," which of course would have pertained to the wheels, which didn't matter to me, given that I was going to disassemble the engine.

But I'm no dope. After I gasped I put the top back on the mower and took it to a mechanic down the road.

Similarly, I decided to change my own oil, and bought a pair of ramps, and even though the packaging said quite clearly, "Don't get under the car just using these," I did it anyway, indignant that having paid for what looked like it should work, wouldn't, and thus I would seek justice by defying that advice.

Quite irrational, but I was newly divorced and in the midst of employment woes, and at least half crazy. I was able to empty the oil and replace it with new but neglected to put the nut on the oil pan, and thus, driving, blew the engine within a half mile.

So you see like cigrmaster, best stick to a hammer and wrench and pay the mechanical adepts.

Reactions: LotusEater

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
Jim, how about some pressure lamp pictures! I have a few. Ok, a bunch. Some stoves too but I’m not really a stovie.
Sure! Mostly I have Colemans (they're like lint, they just stick to you) but I do have an old AGM and an Aida Express Record I found at the Buckley Old Engine Show, of all places...both are still waiting to be restored.

Attachments

• 20180824_174336.jpg
    20180824_174336.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20190816_113201.jpg
    20190816_113201.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20190816_113232.jpg
    20190816_113232.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 2

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
Haven’t dove into the pressure lamps yet. I stick mostly to tubular lanterns. There’s currently a Dietz Vesta that I picked up at a random antique store on the way to Gatlinburg sitting on my workbench. I mostly go after Rayo’s and copper fount lanterns.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
Haven’t dove into the pressure lamps yet. I stick mostly to tubular lanterns. There’s currently a Dietz Vesta that I picked up at a random antique store on the way to Gatlinburg sitting on my workbench. I mostly go after Rayo’s and copper fount lanterns.
I want to get a Rayo just to have one. I only have the Rochester, an Aladdin B from the late 40s that needs a gallery (among other things) and a cheap Eagle 2 from the 70s that I have because it was my grandma's. Of tubulars I have a Dietz Monarch from the Syracuse factory that I believe is a 1928, a Norleigh Diamond from Shapleigh Hardware in St. Louis (these were made by Akron maybe?) and a Feuerhand 275 Baby that a coworker gave me after his wife used them as centerpieces at their wedding and then he was stuck with 15 of them, hehehe....

Reactions: thefishguy

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I want to get a Rayo just to have one. I only have the Rochester, an Aladdin B from the late 40s that needs a gallery (among other things) and a cheap Eagle 2 from the 70s that I have because it was my grandma's. Of tubulars I have a Dietz Monarch from the Syracuse factory that I believe is a 1928, a Norleigh Diamond from Shapleigh Hardware in St. Louis (these were made by Akron maybe?) and a Feuerhand 275 Baby that a coworker gave me after his wife used them as centerpieces at their wedding and then he was stuck with 15 of them, hehehe....
One of my favorite lanterns is a copper top and bottom Norleigh Diamond that was made by CT Ham. It looked like a rusted heap on the bay pics but ended up being one of my nicest restorations. Nice score on the 275. Those are solid little lanterns.

Reactions: Jim Sobie

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
One of my favorite lanterns is a copper top and bottom Norleigh Diamond that was made by CT Ham. It looked like a rusted heap on the bay pics but ended up being one of my nicest restorations. Nice score on the 275. Those are solid little lanterns.
Yeah the 275 just fell into my lap. It's the galvanized finish. Only used once and (typical for nonlantern folk) brutally overfired. Trimmed the wick, cleaned all the soot out of the globe and all set!

Reactions: thefishguy