PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I stopped in Boda Pipes last week - it's been my go-to shop ever since I first stumbled upon it around 2009. They began as a kiosk back in the late 60's, eventually moved into a retail space in the mall, then a couple years back they relocated further down the same street and they're now stocked with a full bar and a couple taps.

It had been a minute since I'd stopped in and I felt mildly guilty for cheating on my favorite shop last month when I found myself in McCranie's in Charlotte. Anyhow, I decided I'd shop local, grab a few tins, and pop one open. I settled on Pease's Windjammer, a blend I've been meaning to try for a minute. I loaded a bowl, got to talking, and after my compatriot gave the tin a curious whiff, he slid it back to me.

Problem was: I'd forgotten all about my nearly-full Blake's Cider, which I promptly upended. I must've toppled at least 12oz of the fine substance, with at least half an ounce finding its way into my 'Jammer. Over the next few afternoons I left the tin slightly opened and day by day the residual moisture faded.

I can report in full confidence now that, A) It smells positively delightful, and B) the leaves are far from ruined. I can't say for sure whether the taste is improved... after all, I only loaded it once before tragedy struck. All said, I'm willing to call this incidental limited release a happy accident. 4 stars.

bpinkstaff

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
I stopped in Boda Pipes last week - it's been my go-to shop ever since I first stumbled upon it around 2009. They began as a kiosk back in the late 60's, eventually moved into a retail space in the mall, then a couple years back they relocated further down the same street and they're now stocked with a full bar and a couple taps.

It had been a minute since I'd stopped in and I felt mildly guilty for cheating on my favorite shop last month when I found myself in McCranie's in Charlotte. Anyhow, I decided I'd shop local, grab a few tins, and pop one open. I settled on Pease's Windjammer, a blend I've been meaning to try for a minute. I loaded a bowl, got to talking, and after my compatriot gave the tin a curious whiff, he slid it back to me.

Problem was: I'd forgotten all about my nearly-full Blake's Cider, which I promptly upended. I must've toppled at least 12oz of the fine substance, with at least half an ounce finding its way into my 'Jammer. Over the next few afternoons I left the tin slightly opened and day by day the residual moisture faded.

I can report in full confidence now that, A) It smells positively delightful, and B) the leaves are far from ruined. I can't say for sure whether the taste is improved... after all, I only loaded it once before tragedy struck. All said, I'm willing to call this incidental limited release a happy accident. 4 stars.
Ever try it again?

Reactions: jbfrady

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
How did it taste? Could you taste the cider, did it sweeten the blend, did it smooth out the blend?

Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
How did it taste? Could you taste the cider, did it sweeten the blend, did it smooth out the blend?
Ultimately, no, I couldn't taste it. It soaked into the tobacco pretty well, so I had to let it air out for a few days and I think that affected things tremendously. Had it been intentional, using a spray bottle perhaps and having dried the leaves out first, then maybe I could've set it back in the tin and tried it the next day. As it was, the taste difference wasn't discernable.

I could swear that it affected the smell, though admittedly the scientific side of me would argue that I could've merely been smelling the perique and attributing it to the cider precisely because I knew I'd spilt it in there. Still, I disagree with me there.

But all told, it's not all that different from the old codger method of using apple slices to remoisten the tobacco. It's just in a more robust format. I've used bourbons, various whiskeys, cognac, and others to infuse tobaccos on purpose, often to great result. Any time you add sugars, it lens the possibility to re-ferment, but in all reality that's a slow process and so if you smoke it right away, all you've done in essence is create an aromatic.

While I'd recommend trying a hydrostone or two's worth of cider in a blend to see for yourself, let me go on record here  not recommending jarring it or otherwise saving it for later. No idea what it would do.