PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craZivn

Lurker
Aug 7, 2023
Northern U.S.
crazivn.com
Hello all, I know very little about meerschaum pipes but I'd like to try one. I spotted these at a tobacco shop, is there a way to tell if they're chip or block by inspecting them?

I can always ask the clerk next time but based on past experience I'm doubtful if they even know what Meerschaum is, tobacco pipes aren't the main focus of this shop.

They're priced at $65 which seems cheap but if there's something to look for that would tell me for sure I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Ivan

Attachments

• IMG_20230819_153517.jpg
    IMG_20230819_153517.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20230819_153533.jpg
    IMG_20230819_153533.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 45

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
what everyone said. Plus most of the cost of a meer is the carvers skill and reputation. The material is cheap. The skill to carve it isn't. It's almost always going to be block. It's actually pretty much pointless to make pressed meer. It takes special machines to make pressed. I got my meer for 50 bucks and it's totally fine just plain.

craZivn

Lurker
Aug 7, 2023
Northern U.S.
crazivn.com
So I went back and took a closer look with the intent of buying one of the smooth ones and decided to pass, the machining wasn't great but what really turned me away was the fact that the stems are threaded and I know it'll drive me nuts if things aren't lined up correctly when the stem is snug to the shank. And, none of them lined up correctly in that situation so they'd have to be a bit loose to be lined up right.

So I'll keep an eye out for something else. Thanks everyone for the education!

Ivan

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
From what I can tell, they're Paykoc brand Meerschaum pipes. They're hand carved block meers, and make for a nice smoking pipe. Many cigar, tobacco shops carry Paykoc meers as they're not that expensive. I don't own any Paykoc meers, but I've never heard any complaints about them.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Paykoc are fair pipes. These are indeed basic-level block. The only thing I'd suspect of being pressed/chip are the little mini meers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is the threaded stem adjustable, or is there a way to tune them if they don't line up?

I'm having second thoughts on passing now, LOL

Ivan
A spacer.
The threaded piece I'd supposed to remain in the pipe and the tenon pulls out of it. Those have replaceable screw in mortise and tenon inserts. Only remove and insert the stem by turning it clockwise to avoid removing the mortise insert.

20221215_232042.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Just curious. Did you check the price on the two pipes in the blue box at the top of the second photo.
That's looks like a matched set of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. The only one of those I've seen have been CAO but I know other carvers have done sets like that.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Just curious. Did you check the price on the two pipes in the blue box at the top of the second photo.
That's looks like a matched set of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. The only one of those I've seen have been CAO but I know other carvers have done sets like that.
Good eye!

craZivn

Lurker
Aug 7, 2023
Northern U.S.
crazivn.com
I'll check it next time I stop in there! The one definitely looked like Holmes (don't know who else wears a deerstalker and is worthy of carving) but it never even occurred to me that the other might be Watson.

Ivan

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll check it next time I stop in there! The one definitely looked like Holmes (don't know who else wears a deerstalker and is worthy of carving) but it never even occurred to me that the other might be Watson.

Ivan
well if he was studly hot it was (lil joke for the readers, since there is one story that holmes basically said watson could seduce ladies by saying hello). Bonus points for anyone who can provide the right quotes.