PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I got this freebie from SPcom with my last order.
Seems to have a decent silicone seal, are these any good for storing an ounce or two of tobak for a few weeks/couple months’ “grab jar”?

They would probably be perfect for some aromatic “codger” mixtures I’ve made up that never dry up but such contents wouldn’t befit the label.

Not looking to cellar in such a vessel for sure….
737ECA4A-A401-498A-B05E-DD63BF045863.jpeg

I'm pretty sure the tobacco will stay put inside that thing once you wrangle the lid back on. puffy

For me, I wouldn't give a crap about a seal on a tub/jar that I am smoking out of, because I prefer my tobacco dry anyways. Usually for a thing of tobacco that I am currently smoking out of, i will leave the top off anyway, to dry it out.

So, sure, depending on whether you prefer moist tobacco, it'll work.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I got one of those freebies and it’s not much use and I wish it had been ceramic like the MacBaren ones from a few years ago! I was disappointed with bare tin, but I do think it would be okay for short term use as discussed above. Mine is a shelf decoration at the moment.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Nah, I have one of those, and the seal and latch are loose and flimsy. They look nice, but are cheaply made. I use it to store my cobs and a few other odds and ends. I foolishly tried storing some scented flake in it and it dried up fairly quickly.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm pretty sure the tobacco will stay put inside that thing once you wrangle the lid back on. puffy

For me, I wouldn't give a crap about a seal on a tub/jar that I am smoking out of, because I prefer my tobacco dry anyways. Usually for a thing of tobacco that I am currently smoking out of, i will leave the top off anyway, to dry it out.

So, sure, depending on whether you prefer moist tobacco, it'll work.
I keep my Carter Hall in a specific glass jar, that the seal is shot on. The top just kinda sits on top. Otherwise that shit will never dry out enough for me.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Glass peanut butter jars, or similar, would work better for that. They're a handy size for up to four ounces, I think. I prefer to just take it out of the tin. By the time I get to the last few crumbs, the moisture level has reached where it should have been at the beginning. I like doing things half-assed and backwards.

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, mine dries out tobacco far too quickly for my taste as well. If I smoked only one blend, I still wouldnt use it, because its not wide enough to pack the pipe inside like a nice large porcelain jar.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I stuffed mine full with Ennerdale. I came back the next day and sniffed around the hinge. I could only slightly smell the perfumed weed. Still yet I wasn’t completely convinced so I moved it into ball jars.
I’m going to pull out some pliers and tweak the wire bale so it pulls the seal tighter. I’ll use it to store left over bottom swag from tins. Eventually I’ll have a Sideways (movie) blend.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've read the Gawith storage tins are sort of flimsy and not very air tight.

I have a few ceramic ones from P&C (Sutliff and Stokkebye, I believe) which are more durable than anticipated but meant for dipping into.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Question, just for my curiosity... you guys that want to store your current stash that you are dipping into in more air tight conditions... do you not dry your tobacco out before smoking? Is this why you want it airtight?
I’m new-ish,so take it with a grain.
I dip out of jars and reseal because my tastes vary at the drop of a hat, so that couple few ounces may go back on shelf and not be revisited for a while.
I like tobacco drier, so a blend (or four) I may (or may not) smoke throughout the week go into small tins to go in my lunchbox. Some get aired out overnight, some not. What doesn’t get smoked by Friday gets dumped back into the jar from whence it came, an will balance hydration back out.
I’m not a “cracks tin/jar and smoke just that until it’s gone” kind of guy.

I’m new-ish,so take it with a grain.
I dip out of jars and reseal because my tastes vary at the drop of a hat, so that couple few ounces may go back on shelf and not be revisited for a while.
I like tobacco drier, so a blend (or four) I may (or may not) smoke throughout the week go into small tins to go in my lunchbox. Some get aired out overnight, some not. What doesn’t get smoked by Friday gets dumped back into the jar from whence it came, an will balance hydration back out.
I’m not a “cracks tin/jar and smoke just that until it’s gone” kind of guy.
Dry tobacco will last an amazingly long time. It doesn't go stale quickly, as the oils will have to dissipate from their cells before they become ruined. I've had dry tobaccos last me more than three months... actually, I don't think I've ever had one go stale.
But, i only point this out if you really wanted to use the jar. I am certain that it would be ok, I only fret over seals when I am putting a tobacco into the cellar for the long haul.

But, don't just take my word on it. Do what you feel comfortable. I just wanted to give you options.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I keep tobacco at hand in a light plastic bag in a decorative jar with no issues in the week or two it takes to turn it over. I like my tobacco moist enough to be pliable, tobacco that’s very dry does not taste right to me. I think the flavor is carried in the moisture.

Reactions: burleybreath