PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
You're right, my behavior here has been a bit uncalled for, and I have to admit my conscience has been bothering me a bit on this side of the keyboard.

I'll offer K.E. Powell a public apology: My tone was uncalled for and I am sorry. Let us smoke in peace.

Having said all, I'll try to politely state how I think his argument fell apart. He basically blamed older generations entirely for expecting society to cater to their whims, and I pointed out how the current younger generation is likely the worst the world has ever seen at this. It's to the point where language is being policed and lives are being ruined over it. An old fart might scoff at you as he goes out the door, but these social justice types want you as good as dead.
Fair enough counterpoint and I apologize if I needed it more succinctly stated to grasp it. I don’t disagree.

Reactions: wyfbane

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Well, we can all lament about sweatpants and Ugg boots until the cows come home, but what I want to know is, when did perfume/cologne become an all-purpose replacement for soap/deodorant? It seems I can't go into any establishment in the city anymore without reeking of someone else's nasty fragrance for the rest of the day, as it clings to hair, skin and clothing indiscriminately. Even the money I withdraw from an ATM smells like it.

Anyone else notice this?

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Well, we can all lament about sweatpants and Ugg boots until the cows come home, but what I want to know is, when did perfume/cologne become an all-purpose replacement for soap/deodorant? It seems I can't go into any establishment in the city anymore without reeking of someone else's nasty fragrance for the rest of the day, as it clings to hair, skin and clothing indiscriminately. Even the money I withdraw from an ATM smells like it.

Anyone else notice this?
Cologne and perfume were meant to be enjoyed up close and not from across the room. Today I can smell someone when they walk into a store.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania

Anyone else notice this?
No, I likely can’t smell it over my own cologne 😁

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
For all the proof of ridiculous SJW type of people that exist in the young generations, I have only rarely found them in personal encounters. Maybe I'm fortunate, or maybe they are only expressive online.

I do think that online media does a good job at sowing hate between 'tribes'. Oftentimes needlessly.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can't imagine being bothered by another person's choice of attire or how they present themselves. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. Maybe I'm just not as thin-skinned as some.
Maybe if retail employees were actually paid enough to live on, they'd give a damn and show up to work looking presentable.
I’m in agreement about attire. A well dressed asshole is still an asshole. I’ve worked with and for a lot of them.
But we can’t risk paying workers a living wage. If we did, we wouldn’t be able to afford all the crap we think we need and sales would plummet, bringing about the collapse of the post capitalist world.
So, I guess we really can’t afford civility if we’re going to be able to afford that fifth TV.
Besides, robots can replace most of you. Robots can be programmed to be civil and they don’t need clothes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I will consider this.

Cant help to beat this horse, though. The debate sparks my mind other languages like spanish and french, where I was primarily taught to say 'de nada' or 'de rien' meaning 'its nothing'. Seems fairly synomous with our 'no problem'.
The proper response is contextual. I use “not a problem” a lot when being asked to handle some last minute request, or emergency.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I agree that people's manners and sense of social decorum have sharply declined as of late, but I also think that there are huge regional variations in what is normal public behaviour and attire.

For example, there are a lot more people in the southern US that don't wear underwear and wear skimpy clothing in public, and a lot more people up here in Canada that wear big fuzzy hoodies, fleece pants, and snow suits in public.

People from the prairie provinces of Canada are usually shocked by the the over the top rudeness of most east coast Americans (NYC and Boston people in particular), whereas those Americans are being polite and friendly by their standards, and tend to get weirded out by Canadian's constant small talk with strangers in public.

I wear sweatpants a lot of the time for several reasons:
-I have meralgia parasthetica (seatbelt injury), and belted and or tight pants irritate it tremendously.
-jeans are in no way appropriate attire for physical activity or exercise.
-hipsters wear denim.
-sweats are available in many styles, cuts, and thicknesses, it's not 1985 anymore.

FWIW, I always put on clean clothes, and typically shower/wash immediately before going anywhere in public.

It is also a lot less common to wear a suit and tie here, in a typical week the only person I see wearing a suit is my pastor, the mayor of our city doesn't even wear a suit for most occasions.

Incidentally and anecdotally, if I do wear a suit I only get compliments from old men, because I look like them, not from women. However, if I wear clean colour-matched sweatpants and hoody and have new running shoes, I often have women approach me in public (this is also because I am married, women love a man that's already in a successful stable relationship).

On the few occasions I have had matching sweatsuits with my 9 year old son (he likes it), it really gets the ladies excited, it's hilarious but also extremely awkward/embarrassing for me, being an extreme introvert with social anxiety, but my son loves the attention.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No, you are not infallible, and if you can't see how I stood your own argument on its head, you either cannot keep up or are choosing not to do so. Better skip Plato for now if this is all too much.

Also, "to each their own" isn't proper English.
Actually, “to each their own” is proper English.

Plato is quite the fad in certain political circles these days, almost as much as a full Windsor.

Socrates was cool. Plato was a fat head.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Suits are kind of terrible. The only thing they really do is look sharp. But for anything else... I do love how I look in a suit but they're the most impractical article of clothing.
I personally don't care about people being more casual and less formal aside from very specific people. But I still think respect matters. And respect is a lot more flexible and intention based then formality. And I personally have found that the youngsters I encounter tend to show more respect for people in general then my generation did at their age. Also less formal. Though I get an impression it varies from one location to another.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
You're right, my behavior here has been a bit uncalled for, and I have to admit my conscience has been bothering me on this side of the keyboard.

I'll offer K.E. Powell a public apology: My tone was uncalled for and I am sorry. Let us smoke in peace.

Having said all, I'll try to politely state how I think his argument fell apart. He basically blamed older generations entirely for expecting society to cater to their whims, and I pointed out how the current younger generation is likely the worst the world has ever seen at this. It's to the point where language is being policed and lives are being ruined over it. An old fart might scoff at you as he goes out the door, but these social justice types want you as good as dead.
My problem with the discussion is that when anyone - it doesn't matter who they are - states they turned someone else's points on their head, then you have lost me. Make the point. Restate the point, counter the point, but never engage with rhetoric that presumes a correct stance at the expense of the other side.

My own opinion on this, and it is my own, is that every generation sucks.

Older folks - of which I am one - tend to think we have a monopoly on truth - I like to think it is based on experience; and younger folks - my children - we have VERY YOUNG CHILDREN - either ignore everything before a certain version of the iPhone or just ignore history all together - or so it seems.

But if history tells us anything, that IS the way of the world. As a former school teacher, professor, and principal, I firmly believe the world and the education system has gone to Hell and a handbag.

But I am not so naive as to believe it really has.

Why?

Because it always has been going to Hell and a Handbag, HA, ha.

So, now you know everything I know because I just told you so, LOL.

Have a great day everyone, and keep posting. I love the distractions from all the other shit.

And if you dare,

Talk about Trump and Biden, LOL.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
"No problem" is not, should not be, and never has been an appropriate response to "thank you." If someone is serving me in a restaurant where I'm paying the bill, of course it's not a problem for them to refill my glass, etc. "You're welcome" has always been the appropriate response. Better yet, "my pleasure" like the Chick-Fil-A folks do.

This approximates almost exactly what I was going to write the other day. This growing trend of saying “no problem” the last several years (maybe even a decade or more now?) as a response to “thank you” has irked me since I first heard it—it’s not just in restaurants, either.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
You're right, my behavior here has been a bit uncalled for, and I have to admit my conscience has been bothering me on this side of the keyboard.

Apology accepted, and I extend my own. Had I been clearer and a little less cheeky from the beginning, then this miscommunication would not likely to have happened. I appreciate you saying what you did, thank you. And yes, let us enjoy our pipes in peace! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.