PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
just received an Armellini n.22 Rusticata, with Bamboo Stem : Immediately found out, that pipe Cleaner//thin wire/ Bristles brush, even thin metal Rod !---Won't Pass from Stem ( permanently attached to the bowl )--and into the Chamber : something Solid//Firm is Blocking the ( chamber ) Hole. on the other side, the Pipe is Smokable, air passing btw. stem & chamber. I contacted the Seller, who has offered 2 options : sending the pipe back ( all the Way-- from Canada-- to Italy ), or to try and smoke it , and if smoking becomes Impossible,- to sent it back to Italy for Free Repairs. I chose to keep the pipe, and already had 3 Smokes : It smokes Well, especially when Inhaling, But this frustrating matter of cleaners not passing from Stem into Chamber is annoying & strange? Gentlemen , What is your opinion ? Thank you all.
LK, Toronto, Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hyperstar
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
You might try dripping some high proof drinkable alcohol into the pipe to possibly help soften the blockage and use a thin stiff copper or brass wire to run through the pipe from the stem end toward the chamber (18 gauge copper has been useful for my purposes). With any luck, the blockage will come loose and exit the draught hole and into the chamber.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
to me it doesn't sound like a blockage as much as a holes not lining up. Personally I'd have sent it back. Unless you have a way to get to all the inner parts to swab them out that is. Because if you don't clean out the pipe properly they can turn sour. Which is a misnomer sour is less sour and more dog poop. If you can figure out how to clean it properly and thoroughly and the pipe smokes well then it's a none issue in my opinion.

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
Thank all of you, gentlemen : I tried UNblocking the Stem-to--Chamber Passage, using DECATUR Airway Cleaner: 0 results....:::((( ; well, at this stage--I keep the Pipe ( after spending 109 Euros--on ARMELLINI n.22 !!Straight !! Billiard, + 25 Euros--FedEx , + $ 32---Customs...; ((in my opinion, Before shipping the Pipe, Both the Pipe Maker, and Pipe--Store Owner--SHOULD have Checked the pipe , Incl. Cleaner Test, ( Especially because I have Asked the Store--owner to Check the Pipe for QC, as it been a Birthday Gift.....; anyway, I Hope, ANTONIO--is a Decent guy, & that He'll keep his Promise to Repair it for free. If the Pipe becomes UNsmokable,--'shall sent it back--to Italy. Bad "" luck"".... LK ( Bandik ), Toronto

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
to me it doesn't sound like a blockage as much as a holes not lining up. Personally I'd have sent it back. Unless you have a way to get to all the inner parts to swab them out that is. Because if you don't clean out the pipe properly they can turn sour. Which is a misnomer sour is less sour and more dog poop. If you can figure out how to clean it properly and thoroughly and the pipe smokes well then it's a none issue in my opinion.

This is exactly the case that I experienced with a Mastro de Paja lower grade. More than likely, in this instance, where the bamboo is attached. It would need to be repaired not cleaned as it isn’t residue but a mechanical blockage or “not lining up” very unfortunate.

In order to clean mine I had to bend the pipe cleaner juuuuust so and then fiddle with it as if I was picking a lock. Very frustrating.

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
Yes, the Stem IS PERMENANTLY Attached--to the Bowl, was a Surprise to me, too. I've got another ARMELLINI, " BOTERO" n. 84 : Good pipe, no issues,--that;s why I decided to Buy this 2-nd one..., also00Good reviews on ARMELLINI. according to the SELLER, after He got my Complaint, he Contacted ARMELLINI, & she Assured him ( the Seller),- that She ""DID check the Pipe before sending it to the Shop, and No issues.""......: to my--it Also 'sounds' like a mechanical issue, because All my attempts on passing a Cleaner//Brush/ even a thin ROD-- have Failed. as of Today--4-days after receiving the Pipe,--I can smoke it, OK,--BUT there Definitely IS smth. Wrong. I shall Trust ANTINIO's ( the Seller) promise to Fix it--If// When I sent it back to him// to--Italy. I;ll keep the pipe for awile--Because I Spend Much $$$ on Buying, Shipping, Customs,--But if it becomes UNsmokable,--shall sent it back, and Hope--for the best : in our SMALL Community, TRUST=== IS Everything !!..... ( ' Bandik' // LK Toronto

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
(( PS. : Straight Billiard, Hand (??)-Made, reputable Name : should'NOT have been an issue-- at All !......))

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
I Tried ( Vauen ) Bristles cleaner, NEERUP Bristles wire brush, thin Metal ROD (!!), ' DECATUR" Airway Cleaner :0. as from day 1 : the " ARMELLINI' IS Smokable, But Nothing Enters through the Stem-- and into the Chamber. I shall keep it for awhile ( after so Much spent $$ on Getting the Pipe all the way from Italy--to--Toronto , But if//when I see, that smoking it is more Frustration--then Enjoyment,--'shall sent it Back : Hopefully, ANTONIO will Stand by his Promise, and Repair it....... LK

Reactions: anotherbob

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Same as the alcohol suggestion. Run some hot water from the chamber through the stem. Try clearing the airway after that. If it cannot be cleared, then I would assume the drilling is quite off and send it back for repair.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
To be clear, are you saying the stem doesn't detach from the bamboo or the bamboo doesn't detach from the shank?

The bamboo shouldn't detach from the shank.

Bamboo has a tube (usually stainless steel) inserted in it for strength. You could be catching on an end/edge of this tube.

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
Yes the Bamboo Stem is Permanently Attached to the Shank ; even with glasses and flashlight, i can't see anything inside the stem : drilling too small, maybe there is a metal insert, maybe--not. this is ARMELLINI n.22 Rusticata , photos--online....; I shall not try Hot water or anything else, because i have already spend hours communicating with Vendor, and trying to solve the matter by myself ; if smoking this pipe deteriorates,--i'll sent it back to Italy, trusting in Antonio's promises.....-Thank you All !

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Yes, the Bamboo Stem-- does NOT detach from the Shank; even with Glasses & Flashlight,--I can'Not see anything Inside the Bamboo Stem : the drilling too small....; Re. HOT water : I don't want to destroy anything, I have already tried what i could, spending Hours--on communicating with the VENDOR, & trying to solve this Issue on my own..; I am not a handyman or a pipe-maker : It* , somehow, Does smoke ~~~ 'well' ; BUT: if smoking this *ARMELLINI* deteriorates,--I shall sent it back to Antonio, trusting in his Promises......
Would you be able to post pics? The few pipes that I have with bamboo, the bamboo is used for the shank that is permanently affixed to the stummel—the stem detaches from the stummel/shank.

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
at 74,--i don't know how to post pictures, but you could see it-and a similar pipe,---at LePipe.It