PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
As a general rule of thumb, all American, Danish & German blends are cased/topped with a ghastly chemical concoction. All British blends are infused with fruits & flowers from the forest.
French pipe tobacco used to be the worst, you wouldn't want to know what they used to put into that one (cats piss apparently). Thankfully they've stopped now.

• Haha
Reactions: TN Jed and mingc
All British blends are infused with fruits & flowers from the forest.
Hysterical GIFs | Tenor

Get Woodsroad to tell you want they used to put in the original WarHorse bar. And, I am pretty sure that Condor and most of the heavy hitter lakelands have/had all sorts of nasties in them. I like to smoke them for their strength, but then I wake up with a huge chemical hangover afterwards.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I’m pretty sure macbaren is known for using more natural, food grade ingredients. Honey, maple sugar, licorice, liquor and such. Then usually they are infused into alcohol or water and then sprayed onto the leaf directly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and TN Jed

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect chemical replicas. Like the perfume counters in department stores that have definite chemical warfare effects ... dizziness, nausea, disorientation, and mood disorders. When they are mentioned, the flavorings are always depicted like original flavorings like bourbon or vanilla. It could be true. In some cases.

I'll have my own cats piss on my tobacco, thank you.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hysterical GIFs | Tenor

Get Woodsroad to tell you want they used to put in the original WarHorse bar. And, I am pretty sure that Condor and most of the heavy hitter lakelands have/had all sorts of nasties in them. I like to smoke them for their strength, but then I wake up with a huge chemical hangover afterwards.
War Horse & Condor were Irish though. Unfortunately they don't have the abundance of pretty flowers that you'll find in the Lake District. You get a 'chemical hangover' from smoking Ennerdale or something? Oh dear, forgive me for saying so but you really must try & man up a little.?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Get Woodsroad to tell you want they used to put in the original WarHorse bar.
Like the belladonna they found in the '30's era product? The stuff was supposed to knock you on your ass, so they added a little "something" to it. British blends were SO imure that eventually the Purity Laws were created in the 17th century and other laws were added thereafter.

Like the belladonna they found in the '30's era product? The stuff was supposed to knock you on your ass, so they added a little "something" to it. British blends were SO imure that eventually the Purity Laws were created in the 17th century and other laws were added thereafter.
Yeh, I’ve always wished someone woukd research and publish what the British were adding that made Lakelands look like a more “pure” choice. Was it old tires, animal byproducts, and medical waste?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but doesn't that make nearly all pipe tobacco an aro? I know I'mdiving into the rabbit hole.View attachment 127240
Let me answer your question with a question. If a friend whom enjoys aro’s asked you to recommend to him an aromatic—would you suggest Granger and if so would he look at you as if you’d lost your mind?

No?
Yes?

I think we all know the difference.

Reactions: TN Jed

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Let me answer your question with a question. If a friend whom enjoys aro’s asked you to recommend to him an aromatic—would you suggest Granger and if so would he look at you as if you’d lost your mind?

No?
Yes?

I think we all know the difference.
I haven't a clue. Since my first foray into the world of pipe tobacco was a little over a year ago I'm on a quest to learn. Being a cigar smoker my first purchases were Black Frigate, Pirate Kake and Spark Plug. Since I had no clue on how to properly smoke a pipe I quickly moved to low tongue bite aros. It wasn't until a Mutton Chop video taught me the breathing method that I could enjoy my first purchases. Although within a short period I've sampled over 30 tobaccos I've yet to try Granger. I'm exited to try Plum Pudding for the first time tomorrow with my newly purchased W.L. Weller 12 yr old. Experimentation is the first step to enlightenment. I can't deny however that I will always love me some Panna Cotta.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I haven't a clue. Since my first foray into the world of pipe tobacco was a little over a year ago I'm on a quest to learn. Being a cigar smoker my first purchases were Black Frigate, Pirate Kake and Spark Plug. Since I had no clue on how to properly smoke a pipe I quickly moved to low tongue bite aros. It wasn't until a Mutton Chop video taught me the breathing method that I could enjoy my first purchases. Although within a short period I've sampled over 30 tobaccos I've yet to try Granger. I'm exited to try Plum Pudding for the first time tomorrow with my newly purchased W.L. Weller 12 yr old. Experimentation is the first step to enlightenment. I can't deny however that I will always love me some Panna Cotta.

Jed
My comment wasn’t in response to your question. @ChasingEmbers is of the opinion that all blends are Aromatics.

Your questions are valid ones. We’re all here to help.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Roger that, but you didn't tell me about Granger.

It’s a century old brand, entirely burley, cased with molasses. It’s an all day monochromatic smoke with a nice creamy mouthfeel. It’s nothing phenomenal but clicks with me. And it is the farthest thing from an aromatic despite comments to the contrary. It’s clean and pipey and it’s room note dissipates easily.

Welcome to the forum, Jed

You a military man? Copy your “Roger that”.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
It’s a century old brand, entirely burley, cased with molasses. It’s an all day monochromatic smoke with a nice creamy mouthfeel. It’s nothing phenomenal but clicks with me. And it is the farthest thing from an aromatic despite comments to the contrary. It’s clean and pipey and it’s room note dissipates easily.

Welcome to the forum, Jed

You a military man? Copy your “Roger that”.
No military for me, spoiled 80's kid. I am fortunate to have been born too late for Vietnam and too soon for the "war on terror". But I am a proud supporter of everyone who serves this country honorably. Forgot to mention Granger sounds delicious. I'll be on the hunt for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: k o h l e w

k o h l e w

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
. . . always mobile
Maybe I should have prefaced with this. The question was sparked by my first puff of a cherry aro. It wasn't very "natural" tasting.
As you’ve figured out by now, there is no open answer to this question. I’ve got a similar question that I formulated years ago: What spirits on the market are additive-free? No answer found to that one either. And I built and rebuilt pianos for a couple years. Easier to build a piano than find the answers to these two questions. My own response to the pipe tobacco additives question has been to stick with a few excellent blenders and exercise caution when venturing out. I will say this, I don’t smoke much that is sold in cigarette shops. 089DAC9A-92C9-4F3E-823C-6873FC158D6A.jpeg

Reactions: TN Jed

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeh, I’ve always wished someone woukd research and publish what the British were adding that made Lakelands look like a more “pure” choice. Was it old tires, animal byproducts, and medical waste?
Among the currently outlawed additives I read about years ago, talc, asbestos, wood, various herbs, anything a blender tought might make for an interesting smoke. Smokers were definitely lab rats.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore