PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I've had an experience twice since I started regularly smoking pipes (about 4 months) were I'm kept awake most of the night due to hypersalivation, which in turn caused aggressive heart burn. Both times I had been smoking aromatics quite regularly, pretty much daily since I started smoking with a coworker in the morning. I've since cut back on the amount of aromatics and that has seemed to curb the issue. Non-aro blends, even without tongue bite leave my mouth a little dry. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this as well or if I just have a strange anatomy.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Aros and VAs can certainly be irritating to some people.

The various casings/toppings of various blends, along with the PH balance of VAs, might be the issue, or you’re sensitive.

Until you work it out, you should stick to more Burely/Burely forward blends.

Have you smoked SWR, Solani Aged Burely Flake, or Sutliff (Match) Ready Rubbed, or other straight Burely blends, and still notice the same issues?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChonkyTonks

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
This is not uncommon for some people with blends with propylene glycol, red Virginia, etc. Do you use the rubber Softie bits? If so, remove them and some of the salivation will also likely go away.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I was wondering if the toppings might be the cause. I don't have the issue with non-aro blends with virginias, but also haven't smoke any straight virginias yet, nor any of the blends you mentioned PipeIT. Is propylene glycol in toppings or from the leaf? I don't use softy bits.

I'm just going to leave this right here...
Pavlov GIF | GIFER

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I was wondering if the toppings might be the cause. I don't have the issue with non-aro blends with virginias, but also haven't smoke any straight virginias yet, nor any of the blends you mentioned PipeIT. Is propylene glycol in toppings or from the leaf? I don't use softy bits.

Propylene Glycol is a humectant (?)/ preservative used to keep the tobacco moist. It's allegedly harmless, and most people say they don't notice it in the tobacco, though personally I dislike manufacturers that use it, and certainly can notice 'something'. I can definatley smell something that smells like nail polish remover in the bowl when smoking such a blend.
I am not sure which US blends use it heavily, and which hardly use it, but some here maybe able to advise you on that, and I would say this might be a good first place to start. I think aromatics tend to use propylene glycol quite a bit, and also the 'sauce' of the aromatics can be a bit chemically from what I gather (I tend to avoid aromatics with a few exceptions, and those exceptions are hard to get in the US).

Other questions might be how much you are smoking a day, and how large the bowl is and also how you are smoking, and compare that to what you used to smoke before taking up the pipe. It could just be that you have a low nicotine tolerance, or are smoking too much. It could also be combining with other lifestyle choices.

Hope that helps. I am not an authority on any of these matters by the way, so am happy for others to correct me.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Hypersalivation" sounds like a side effect of some new, mysterious medication.

"Some Glyvantha users may experience anal leakage, temporary blindness, loss of limbs or hypersalivation. Do not take Glyvantha if you are pregnant, of child-bearing age, intending to consume food in the next three weeks, or breathing."

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Sounds like a side effect of some new, mysterious medication.
"Some Glyvantha users may experience anal leakage, temporary blindness, loss of limbs or hypersalivation. Do not take Glyvantha if you are pregnant, of child-bearing age, intending to consume food in the next three weeks, or breathing."

This reminds me of the odd occasion I here an American radio add for medical products, and at the end of the add they stream off a thousand potential side effects including death in about 3 seconds.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
This reminds me of the odd occasion I here an American radio add for medical products, and at the end of the add they stream off a thousand potential side effects including death in about 3 seconds.
And they always lead with, “Don’t take Ripoffrium if you are allergic to Ripoffrium.” Always makes me roll my eyes.

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I've had an experience twice since I started regularly smoking pipes (about 4 months) were I'm kept awake most of the night due to hypersalivation, which in turn caused aggressive heart burn. Both times I had been smoking aromatics quite regularly, pretty much daily since I started smoking with a coworker in the morning. I've since cut back on the amount of aromatics and that has seemed to curb the issue. Non-aro blends, even without tongue bite leave my mouth a little dry. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this as well or if I just have a strange anatomy.
You've experienced adverse chemical reaction. Stop smoking that tobacco. If the symptoms persist with other tobaccos, stop smoking altogether.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many aromatics have food and beverage flavorings which might key salivation if the body thinks it is about to get a chocolate bar, a glass of Irish whiskey, a licorice stick, or a drizzle of molasses. Tobacco in general, not even flavored, was used by Native Americans as an appetite suppressant when a hunting party (for example) didn't have time to stop and eat. I think you might have a better time with non-aromatics, and try aromatics selectively to see which don't cause the problem.

Reactions: mbmoehl and FLDRD
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
A bowl here and there of the following; 7 Seas, Windjammer, CB Royal, local Creme Brulee blend. However, I did smoke about 2oz of Arrowhead in the last three weeks, which has three or four toppings listed in the description.
I’m surprised with windjammer since my experience with C&D is not loaded with anything. They make a few of my favorite aros and that one only has rum on it, no?

What blends of non-aros have you smoked and of those, are there any that have not caused you problem?

Just looking if it’s manufacturer specific.