PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grimlineman

Lurker
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
Been trying a bunch of blends and jarring what I like. Vapers is my favorite so far but I have found a few aromatics I like too. Not a huge Latakia fan but I put a blend in a jar to age and will try it again next winter.

My question is how long will aromatics stay good jarred? Probably dumb question but I read they don’t age as well as the more natural blends. So I’m guessing it’s something to not overly stock up on? Or jar what I like away and it will be good a years down the road?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Last edited:
I read they don’t age as well as the more natural blends.
This is one of the most misinterpreted parts of what was said... It doesn't become more naturally sweet, like Virginias do, but they stay sort of the same. You might find that the sauce gets more integrated with the leaf, but if you don't mind the flavor of tobacco in your aromatics, you'll be fine.

Jun 23, 2019
Also kind of depends on what blends in particular you're referring to. Aromatics cover such a diversity of blend types, it's hard to just say they all age this or that way.

Frog Morton Cellar will age very differently from SG's Lakeland Dark. And something like Sutliff's Panna Cotta will basically not age at all.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I have a 10 year old 8 oz. can of Hearth & Home Mohawk River that I never bothered to jar up and in its original can with its plastic top. it tastes the same as it did 10 years ago to me when I break it out and smoke it. It’s not Any drier than it was 10 years ago either lol, which is only one of the reasons I still have it floating around. It’s an absolute marvel to me. I think it might be the fountain of youth - which explains why I still look so young and handsome.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I sometimes wonder if we get lost in semantics. Wine will age in the bottle but once bottled, whiskey doesn't continue to age.

I don't think unopened tins of aromatics age over a long period of time. I think there are some aromatics that tend to improve over the first year or two because the flavors meld together (sort of like why some cooked dishes tasted after being refrigerated overnight).

So, do aromatic really age when cellared or do they just rest and stay basically the same?