PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I am a little confused as to what is considered an aromatic. There are some blends not labeled as aromatics on Tobacco Reviews such as Bengal Slices (licorice flavouring) and Navy Flake (rum flavouring). I thought flavouring a blend automatically made it an aromatic? What is the difference between these blends and those that do get labelled aromatic.

Reactions: JOHN72

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I thought flavouring a blend automatically made it an aromatic?
You want more confusion? Years ago, and still in some countries, latakia and orientals are aromatics while flavored blends are flavored blends. With casings, nearly all production tobacco has added flavoring. Even latakia is a flavored Oriental.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There are things that are obviously aromatic because of the flavoring added. And 80% of all tobacco sold is an aromatic. But when you get right down to it you could call everything an aromatic because of the very light casing that is put on non-aromatic to help them stay hydrated over periods of time. So instead of driving our selves crazy over this just smoke what you got whenever you want. If you can taste nothing but tobacco then it is probably non-aromatic and if you do it isn't. The thing is we used to tease folks about smoking aros and it turns outs we were technically guilty of the same thing.
It is best to adopt the Brian Levine mantra "If you smoke a pipe you are a friend of mine".

Reactions: JOHN72