PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Informative and interesting for those of us that remember Alfred E Newman and Mad. Probably remember it being better than it was, but it really did give us so many iconic recurring characters.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I think Jim Amash (JimInks) knew some of the MAD guys.

How could colorful stories not result?

Mr. Inks, Mr. Inks, reminiscence spill in aisle 5...

Please report to the general discussion board

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Informative and interesting for those of us that remember Alfred E Newman and Mad. Probably remember it being better than it was, but it really did give us so many iconic recurring characters.

certain art is just so great because it shows you that you're not alone. Mad, the Farside, and Monty Python all were so important to my development. To see that not only people where making these smart silly thing not only showed me that people make such things and think a bit off just like me, but that there are enough people who have odd views and notice these things too for these things to be profitable as well! That was life changing stuff. Will always love mad even if they made a crappy t.v. show. :)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You couldn't do 'Mad Magazine' today as the new Puritans can never be laughed at, they might after all be offended. Could you imagine an Alfred E Newman supplement on Berkley and what to expect as a student! Worse still the 'Mad Magazine Guide to Canceling Family & Friends for Social Media Profit' or Mad Magazines interview with Elon Musk? The establishment would ban the publication under the auspices of Homeland Security. Imagine Monty Python entering the gender wars with 'Strap-a-Dick-to-Me' and call me Fred! Instant ban in todays world.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Gentlemen, Gentlemen... If you truly want The Inky One, aka Jim Amash , to join the conversation on all things MAD Magazine; and, share what he knows, you must summon him properly...

Dim the lights; Light Incense and Candles; Draw Pentagram on the floor; Chant the proper Incantation of Summoning, thus: "Hail, Hail, Fire and Snow, Call the Inker We All know, Far-away and Far To See, @JimInks Come To ME!!!!!!!"

Repeat as necessary until desired result is achieved; as illustrated below - YMMV.

Screenshot 2023-09-07 5.44.03 AM.png

- Sherm 'Ars Goetia' Natman

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a teen in the 1970's, I was a fan. I didn't always get the humour, but I knew it had to be funny. I haven't seen one in ages, to know how they hold up.
One thing sticks in my mind - they did a Christmas carol parody, and described the three wisemen as ZZ Top. I can't listen to "We Three Kings" at Christmas,without immediately thinking about ZZ Top.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a teen in the 1970's, I was a fan. I didn't always get the humour, but I knew it had to be funny. I haven't seen one in ages, to know how they hold up.
One thing sticks in my mind - they did a Christmas carol parody, and described the three wisemen as ZZ Top. I can't listen to "We Three Kings" at Christmas,without immediately thinking about ZZ Top.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Harvey Kurtzman was one of my teachers at the School of Visual Arts. I wish I had known the vital, vibrant version I’d read about that existed during the EC years—by the time I met and studied with him in the ’80s, he had slowed considerably due to Parkinson’s. I’m happy and proud that I got to study under such a legend and giant in comics, but he wasn’t a particularly good teacher when I had him. I learned more about comics and storytelling by studying Harvey’s work under the guidance of Art Spiegelman than I did from Harvey himself (I would say the same of another teacher/legend, Will Eisner, creator of The Spirit). Harvey was a hero of sorts to me (I grew up reading the Ballantine MAD paperbacks that my older brothers had) and it was incredibly painful when he took me aside at the end of the semester and said, “You were my greatest disappointment.” It saddens me to this day that I didn’t live up to his expectations with my work—it felt good that he thought highly of what I might be capable of and expected great things, but bad that I didn’t deliver. By the time I had achieved high spots in my career that I could show Harvey, he was a bit too far gone to recall who I was.

If I can locate the box it’s packed away in, I’ll try to post a picture or two of my copy of Maria Reidelbach’s Completely MAD: A History of the Comic Book and Magazine, signed by William Gaines, Harvey, and a good number of the Usual Gang of Idiots.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Harvey Kurtzman was one of my teachers at the School of Visual Arts. I wish I had known the vital, vibrant version I’d read about that existed during the EC years—by the time I met and studied with him in the ’80s, he had slowed considerably due to Parkinson’s. I’m happy and proud that I got to study under such a legend and giant in comics, but he wasn’t a particularly good teacher when I had him. I learned more about comics and storytelling by studying Harvey’s work under the guidance of Art Spiegelman than I did from Harvey himself (I would say the same of another teacher/legend, Will Eisner, creator of The Spirit). Harvey was a hero of sorts to me (I grew up reading the Ballantine MAD paperbacks that my older brothers had) and it was incredibly painful when he took me aside at the end of the semester and said, “You were my greatest disappointment.” It saddens me to this day that I didn’t live up to his expectations with my work—it felt good that he thought highly of what I might be capable of and expected great things, but bad that I didn’t deliver. By the time I had achieved high spots in my career that I could show Harvey, he was a bit too far gone to recall who I was.

If I can locate the box it’s packed away in, I’ll try to post a picture or two of my copy of Maria Reidelbach’s Completely MAD: A History of the Comic Book and Magazine, signed by William Gaines, Harvey, and a good number of the Usual Gang of Idiots.
Sorry i laughed, what a complete dick move 😂

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland

Well I think your work is amazing.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up with Mad Magazine. My cousin John and I started with it, ardently, when we were about 10 years old -- he is a few months younger than me -- in about 1956, and read it on through college and beyond. The irreverence matched our familial sense of humor. Our parents all had humor with a sardonic edge but in a variety of ways between them.

Then I got to introduce my kid sister to Mad. She was eight years younger than me. We especially shared enjoyment of a story about The Heap, a sort of satire on the Frankenstein monster.

I used to buy the issues that would have one of those floppy records inside with usually hilarious songs on them, but I also never "got" their humor. I still don't understand the earlier episodes of Saturday Night Live either. I guess I just never tried heroine, so I will never understand why Belushi is considered a comedian. He was a decent singer though.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Back in junior high, did one of Mad Magazine hockey picture as a project. My shop teacher liked it enough to enter me into a competition. I picked more traditional picture and didn't place. Should have gone with Spy vs. Spy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I used to buy the issues that would have one of those floppy records inside with usually hilarious songs on them, but I also never "got" their humor. I still don't understand the earlier episodes of Saturday Night Live either. I guess I just never tried heroine, so I will never understand why Belushi is considered a comedian. He was a decent singer though.
I think you meant heroin

1694131279246.jpeg

Not heroine

1694131332872.jpeg

And, I agree on John Belushi. Now Jim Belushi, there's a guy who can make me laugh.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore