PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Are you asking us how concerned we are for you, or are you asking us how concerned we are over the news?

Either way, I can't say I worry too much. I do what I can to be decent and make my community better. I speak out on things I believe are wrong, especially if its perpetrated within and by my own country. But I also recognize that so much that goes on in the world is beyond my control. That isn't an excuse to court fatalism or apathy, but I also do try to expend my energies where I believe I can have the greatest effect.

Not to mention that I do not place a great degree of faith in news media as a whole. There are individual journalists that are top-notch and deeply concerned about justice, but as a system news media is largely a propaganda arm of monied interests, making it a marginal antagonist to government overreach at best.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
how concerned are you
About what? (I'm surmising you are posing a question.) The amount of potholes appearing during the Spring thaw in my neighborhood? That I'm concerned about. Local election coming up. If the incumbents what my vote ... The damned potholes better be filled quickly and correctly.

World events I have no control over? Only interested in such as to how certain events will impact my investments Should I make strategic changes.

Crap, I see the OP has just turned this into a political discussion. IBTL :sher:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think I have a pretty good idea what concerns you. Because I prefer sanity I don't worry about that over which I have no influence or control. Areas where I can have some effect are where I take action.

For most of us, our sphere of influence extends about 10 to 15 feet in any direction from where we are. For a few of us it extends farther with differing levels of effectiveness.

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023
Northumberland county, pa
About what? (I'm surmising you are posing a question.) The amount of potholes appearing during the Spring thaw in my neighborhood? That I'm concerned about. Local election coming up. If the incumbents what my vote ... The damned potholes better be filled quickly and correctly.

World events I have no control over? Only interested in such as to how certain events will impact my investments Should I make strategic changes.

Crap, I see the OP has just turned this into a political discussion. IBTL :sher:
That is all valid points..but I want my children to have a life that exceeds me...that is better than I have had!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Everything is political. The two party system is just a slice of it.

As for watching the news: After working inside the news machine for 20+ years, I no longer trust any one news outlet. I read widely, especially news sources that I disagree with, and try to read primary sources. Most news outlets are part and parcel of one of the two political parties or either the left or right ideology. The WSJ was one of the last (mostly) unbiased news organizations, but the recent unpleasantness in the Mideast has them showing their true colors. I stopped watching TV news around the time that Uncle Walter threw in the towel on Vietnam.

We are in a very bad way without a robust, independent news industry.

Oh, and if you are referring to the Iran-Israel war… Have you read “On The Beach”?

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023

I wish I only had to deal with potholes. Potholes are problems that are easily fixed,if you know how to deal with them

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I wish I only had to deal with potholes
It's not all I worry about. It simply is at the top of my list today. My list is vast but includes nothing I have no control over. I have too little time to spend any of it worrying about those things, interesting as they may be, which I have no control over. I'm a fan of the Green Bay Packers. But, I never care nor worry if they win or lose. I simply refuse to waste the time or energy worrying about the world's problems. I find such worrying to be counter-productive, adversely effect my enjoyment of life.

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023
That is all valid points..but I want my children to have a life that exceeds me...that is better than I have had!

It's not all I worry about. It simply is at the top of my list today. My list is vast but includes nothing I have no control over. I have too little time to spend any of it worrying about those things, interesting as they may be, which I have no control over. I'm a fan of the Green Bay Packers. But, I never care nor worry if they win or lose. I simply refuse to waste the time or energy worrying about the world's problems. I find such worrying to be counter-productive, adversely effect my enjoyment of life

It's not all I worry about. It simply is at the top of my list today. My list is vast but includes nothing I have no control over. I have too little time to spend any of it worrying about those things, interesting as they may be, which I have no control over. I'm a fan of the Green Bay Packers. But, I never care nor worry if they win or lose. I simply refuse to waste the time or energy worrying about the world's problems. I find such worrying to be counter-productive, adversely effect my

Last edited:

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Legacy media is dying, deservedly so.
I get news from X (formerly Twitter). The news is uncensored, often days ahead of legacy media, and outside of the "accepted" narratives.
All news is biased, so pick your side and get your news. 😂

That said, Thermionicscott, in the first reply to this thread, demonstrates the greatest wisdom.
The most damaging stress is worrying about things you have no control over.

I like to know what is going on, in all fields and at all levels (world, national, state, local), but I don't overly concern myself with it cuz little to nothing I can do about it. But I do enjoy keeping up to date for several reasons: curiosity, entertainment, learning, personal and financial planning.

When I feel myself getting emotional about the news, it's time for a relaxing smoke of good tobacco in a good pipe to put life back into proper perspective.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Everything is political. The two party system is just a slice of it.

As for watching the news: After working inside the news machine for 20+ years, I no longer trust any one news outlet. I read widely, especially news sources that I disagree with, and try to read primary sources. Most news outlets are part and parcel of one of the two political parties or either the left or right ideology. The WSJ was one of the last (mostly) unbiased news organizations, but the recent unpleasantness in the Mideast has them showing their true colors. I stopped watching TV news around the time that Uncle Walter threw in the towel on Vietnam.

We are in a very bad way without a robust, independent news industry.

Oh, and if you are referring to the Iran-Israel war… Have you read “On The Beach”?
I do the same thing. Bubbles are not for me.

The rot set in in the late '70's, when TV and radio News was changed from being a public service to being a profit based extension of entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.