PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
I saw Wes Anderson’s newest movie Asteroid City this weekend. I like his films and this one was very much in his style. Not everyones cup of tea I’m sure. I took my kids whose reply after the movie was “What was that movie about?”

Anyway one of the main characters smokes a pipe throughout the entire movie which I thought was cool. Occasionally you could see smoke coming from pipe and other times it was just there. Couldn’t place what kind of pipe it was and it sort of distracted me trying to catch some details. Kudoes though for dialogue with it hanging from his mouth.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I saw Wes Anderson’s newest movie Asteroid City this weekend. I like his films and this one was very much in his style. Not everyones cup of tea I’m sure. I took my kids whose reply after the movie was “What was that movie about?”

Anyway one of the main characters smokes a pipe throughout the entire movie which I thought was cool. Occasionally you could see smoke coming from pipe and other times it was just there. Couldn’t place what kind of pipe it was and it sort of distracted me trying to catch some details. Kudoes though for dialogue with it hanging from his mouth.
I'm gonna try to catch it this weekend.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My son LOVES Wes Anderson's films. Anderson curated three films he cited as influences, The Misfits, Bad Day At Black Rock, and Ace In The Hole, which were individually screened in the two weeks prior to the opening of Asteroid City.

Max went to see all three, and loved them. Then he went to see Asteroid City and absolutely hated it, called it a total waste of time, a shapeless nothingness that went nowhere, and he just couldn't see much connection between the three curated films and Anderson's film.

This is the first time I've ever heard him be critical of Anderson's films. He has all of them on DVD. But he's firm that it's a complete dud and not worth the price of a ticket.

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
My son LOVES Wes Anderson's films. Anderson curated three films he cited as influences, The Misfits, Bad Day At Black Rock, and Ace In The Hole, which were individually screened in the two weeks prior to the opening of Asteroid City.

Max went to see all three, and loved them. Then he went to see Asteroid City and absolutely hated it, called it a total waste of time, a shapeless nothingness that went nowhere, and he just couldn't see much connection between the three curated films and Anderson's film.

This is the first time I've ever heard him be critical of Anderson's films. He has all of them on DVD. But he's firm that it's a complete dud and not worth the price of a ticket.

But did he enjoy the pipe smoking? Haha

Reactions: sablebrush52

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I watched this yesterday and from being physically tired from my work and drinking a Hazy IPA during the show, I kept nodding off. The dialogue was funny and I was awake for the full frontal nude of Scarlett Johansson( aka The Black Widow)😋 Seeing the pipe throughout the movie was cool, I eventually woke up to the roadrunner dancing and the end credits. 3/5 ⭐ Then I bought another tall IPA and a ticket to see INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY OR THE CRYSTAL WHEELCHAIR, I can't remember but it held my attention far more. 4/5⭐

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I found the first one Tannenbaums interesting. Then he just seems to be doing the same thing over and over. Each to their own.
Bottle Rocket is the first one. Which is really great but the least Andersony of Wes's movies. It's much more of a traditional comedy. Sure there are some big hints of his style. For example the colors are over saturated but in a way that still looks natural. The second one was Rushmore which apparently is semi-autobiographical. I think the Royal Tenenbaums is the third.
If you care IMDB should confirm or deny this.

IvorTheEngine

Lurker
Jul 18, 2023

Dear pipe-puffers,

I will not pretend to be a pipe aficionado: I have just joined the pipesmagazine.com forum for the purpose of learning more about the pipe that Jason Schwartzman's character, Augie Steenbeck, smokes in Asteroid City, being a big fan of Wes Anderson films, but an ignoramus about pipes.

Basically, I want to get me a pipe like Augie's, for the purpose of dangling it from my mouth, sans tobacco, during work video conference calls or on shopping trips, so that I can look just like Augie. I might consider burning tobacco in it later, but that is a secondary consideration. Could anyone who has seen the film please identify (a) the exact manufacturer and model, or (b) just the style of pipe? You might need to have seen the film to identify it, because I think there is no one shot in which the full anatomy of the pipe is shown (always a part of is obscured by Schwartzman's mouth or fingers), but here is one picture:

AsteroidCityPipe01.jpg

IvorTheEngine

Lurker
Jul 18, 2023
Dear pipe-puffers,

I will not pretend to be a pipe aficionado: I have just joined the pipesmagazine.com forum for the purpose of learning more about the pipe that Jason Schwartzman's character, Augie Steenbeck, smokes in Asteroid City, being a big fan of Wes Anderson films, but an ignoramus about pipes.

Basically, I want to get me a pipe like Augie's, for the purpose of dangling it from my mouth, sans tobacco, during work video conference calls or on shopping trips, so that I can look just like Augie. I might consider burning tobacco in it later, but that is a secondary consideration. Could anyone who has seen the film please identify (a) the exact manufacturer and model, or (b) just the style of pipe? You might need to have seen the film to identify it, because I think there is no one shot in which the full anatomy of the pipe is shown (always a part of is obscured by Schwartzman's mouth or fingers), but here is one picture:

View attachment 234157
Been doing some more Googling. How about a Chacom-Reybert #1930?

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
If you were looking for one *like* it, you'd probably have good luck searching generally for a full-bent or 3/4 bent billiard.

As for the exact pipe or manufacturer... I couldn't say. When I saw the movie, I thought it might be a Peterson, but the mouthpiece is not quite the same.

The lighter he used though, I'm 95% sure it's a Nimrod commander.

Reactions: IvorTheEngine

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Been doing some more Googling. How about a Chacom-Reybert #1930?
It looks the right size (the one in the pic is a relatively small pipe) and general shape, but the rim of the pipe in the pic has a flat rim with a sharp edge whereas the Chacom-Reybert #1930 has a rounded rim and edge. I think you're very warm though. It's a rather unusual shape and size as modern pipe smokers seem to prefer larger pipes so that smaller new pipes are harder to come by.
002-512-7059.3586.jpg

Jan 27, 2020
Then he went to see Asteroid City and absolutely hated it, called it a total waste of time, a shapeless nothingness that went nowhere, and he just couldn't see much connection between the three curated films and Anderson's film.

I feel like Wes Anderson ran out of ideas 2-3 films ago and just falls back on his over stylized, style, to make up for anything that approaches a compelling story that isn't somehow nauseatingly derivative of his earlier work. The trailer for Asteroid City was enough to know that this would be just another Wes-fest of overly considered wardrobes and sets with not much else under the over-preened exterior.