PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
(I think this category is more appropriate than the B&M for this question.) Finally made it to Little Rock last weekend to hang out at the long standing, if obviously named, Pipe and Tobacco Shop. I had heard they have a chatty group of gents on Saturdays; that proved to be the case and, for a first time visitor, I was made to feel right at home. Very friendly. I went with the intention of purchasing a bit of tobacco, they sell a mean sliced, amazing. All well and good. Now I want to return on another Saturday and it strikes me that...I kind of owe the shop more patronage. I sat in their heated store for a couple of hours, used their toilet, drank their coffee, and used electricity, too, as the lights were on and the vent fans never stopped. So, what do the rest of you do when you spend time at your local B&M? Have you a plan for what you will buy? Do you think in terms of Dollars? (ie: I'm going to spend $10 for each hour there.) I'm not trying to chisel the shop out of anything, quite the opposite: I don't want them to think I'm leeching off their generosity. Ah...and at the same time, thinking of money and of many hidden tobacco tins...well, I want to continue to remain married. Interested to know what you think is appropriate.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
If you make a habit out of spending part of your money on high margin items, that can go a long way toward being greeted with a smile. You'll always need pipe cleaners, breath mints, filters, flints, lighter fuel, new cobs, etc. Depending on your state, your b&m proprietor might not be making much on the leaf. The little stuff really helps pay the bills!

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I usually try to spend at least a little bit if the shop is actually a pipe shop. If they have a tin of something I like (or would like to try) I usually pick one up even if it’s a few more bucks than I might find online. At the very least I will usually pick up some cleaners and a cheap lighter or something like that. Any place that is actually putting some effort to service pipe smokers is worth spending a few bucks in at the very least.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
They have those amenities to get you in. I wouldn't worry too much about proper levels of etiquette in this situation. That's their job to figure out how worthwhile it is to them to bring customers and have them stay (and spend more money, heck even if you buy a tin and smoke a pipe you're more likely to buy something else. At the same time you don't want to abuse it and just show up. However if you're pleasant and charming you might get more people in. So it's not really something where you can say what dollar amount justifies you using the amenities.
I'd say the bigger issue is just helping them stay in business period.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I usually try to spend at least a little bit if the shop is actually a pipe shop. If they have a tin of something I like (or would like to try) I usually pick one up even if it’s a few more bucks than I might find online. At the very least I will usually pick up some cleaners and a cheap lighter or something like that. Any place that is actually putting some effort to service pipe smokers is worth spending a few bucks in at the very least.
unless they're scalping I try to buy locally first. They only have a few things I want but that's where I buy them. A few bucks more to have it in hand right now not so bad.

I'm always good for about three tins, which can be about $100. I sometimes will buy a pipe also. Skip will usually have something set back for me that he knows I'll like.
I will also pop a bottle of wine I made for the boys if I am going to be holding court. It's a place... where everybody knows my name... and they're always glad I came...

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
and used electricity, too, as the lights were on and the vent fans never stopped.
They're using electricity whether you're there or not.

Spend what you can afford. If you can afford $20 everytime you visit, that's fine. Some clients can afford $20 while others can afford $100. Don't spend what you don't have.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I'm always good for about three tins, which can be about $100. I sometimes will buy a pipe also. Skip will usually have something set back for me that he knows I'll like.
I will also pop a bottle of wine I made for the boys if I am going to be holding court. It's a place... where everybody knows my name... and they're always glad I came...
man you almost got us right till that last line. That's when we figured it out that you're making that up.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
See? When I was younger, I would typically dry out a local bar's Guinness stock when I visit. Obviously, it was before draught Guinness became very popular outside of NE. I don't think my kidneys can handle it anymore. But a pipe shop.. I don't know. I don't particularly enjoy talking. I would go buy something and leave. If I go. Used to go to local Tinderbox, but they shut down during pandemic.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Keep in mind the proprietor has set aside expensive floor space, he's paying by the square foot most likely, hoping customers will make said space worth the cost. Most retailers squeeze as much merchandise into their floor space as possible. A smoke shop offering seating is really taking a chance. If I go to such a shop it is for tobacco and to peruse the pipes. I know I'm gonna drop cash while there but, I never go simply to chit-chat and take up space, expensive space. Square footage is a cost, it's why many bars with entertainment have a minimum of number of drinks or a cover. They don't want people simply taking up square footage.

Those easy chairs are costing the owner moneys even as they sit empty. So, if yo want to just "hang" you're doing the proprietor a disservice. Buy a tin, cigar or what have you.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
If I visit a shop and they have absolutely nothing I’m interested in but are friendly I’ll buy pipe cleaners, Vesta matches, a few pipe nails and try to spend $20 or so.

If they have a great selection and are friendly it’s not uncommon for me to drop a couple hundred dollars on tins at full retail because I want them to stay in business.

I’ve walked out of a few empty handed simply because the shop keeper has been not friendly or actually quite rude, or on occasion when they can’t be bothered to even greet me or deign to notice my presence. Never gone back to one like that a second time.

Back when there was a local newsstand that sold papers and magazines and tobacco I’d basically just stop in whenever I was nearby and bought just a tin / pouch or maybe an ounce or two, maybe a NYT or such. Just a few bucks but can’t remember ever leaving without something. Rarely bought pipes back then because I couldn’t afford them but five out of the six I did own I bought there! Dang it all, I miss those days even though I’ve got dozens of pipes and a few hundred pounds in my cellar. It was funner back then if you can believe that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Some great advice given already. I always buy something when I visit. I can always use Cigars for the golf course. I may get some pipe cleaners, butane and other accessories. If they have pipe tobacco that I'll smoke, I buy several times even if they're quite a bit more than an online retailer. I usually spend between $100 to $200 if it is somewhere I visit infrequently. If it's somewhere I visit every month or two, I'll buy a handful of Cigars and smoke one or two while I'm there.

I suspect when you left, the regulars probably gave the proprietor a heads up on you. So of equal importance is how you conduct yourself while there.

Eye-level

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2021
Tulsa Oklahoma
I try to get to my local tobacco shop every week. I've been invited to hang out and try blends free of charge but haven't took them up on that. I like to get 2-4 ounces of different house blends per visit....about $20...I also tend to buy a pack of cleaners and a lighter too. The etiquette of it all is a great question I think.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
So, what do the rest of you do when you spend time at your local B&M? Have you a plan for what you will buy? Do you think in terms of Dollars? (ie: I'm going to spend $10 for each hour there.)
When I was working on the road and would kill time in cigar lounges I always figured about $10/$15 dollars an hour for seat time.

I’m now retired and working part time in a pipe/cigar shop/lounge and I love serving both our regulars and guys/gals just stopping in. In my very limited experience I’ve only had one “customer” seem to take advantage. If your not a regular and not a pain in the ass, buy a cigar or two and you’ll be welcome to hang out and smoke them. We’re BYOB to!