PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
After a long break from latakia blends (about 2 years), which was preceded by a latakia binge (about 3-4 years), i just finished a bowl a Star of the East Flake and I could actually taste the constituent tobaccos and not have them completely overwhelmed by the black leaf. The weather here has been cooling down this past week. From 80s-90s with clear skies and ample sunshine, to low 70s with cloudy skies and evening thunderstorms. Earlier today I decided I would give a heavier latakia blend another shot and see what happened. I loaded up a newish danger poker cob and had a cup of Earl Grey with a spoonful of honey and sat under the carport and watched the rain. It was quite enjoyable. I'm interested to see if this was a fluke, or if I may be able to enjoy some of my old favorites again. Time will tell, but I think I'll try some Quiet Nights next and see what happens. Has anyone else found their way back to full English blends after Lat burnout?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I think it helps to smoke a Lat English only every few smokes or less, to avoid Lat burn-out. Burley if you can do it, or Virginias and Va/Per, and other genres.
I think this is the approach I'm going to take going forward. Sprinkle in the odd Lat blend here and there while I keep the VA's the mainstay. I'm definitely going to give Quiet Nights a go tomorrow though 😉.

Reactions: orvet

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I smoked a bowl of various latakia blends every night for a couple years. During that time I started getting really into burley, and I kinda tapered off of Latakia. I've found myself coming back to it in the last six months or so. Now, if I feel like smoking some, I really enjoy it. I find that one or two bowls a week of Westminster or Highland Targe really hit the spot if I'm in the mood for it.

Reactions: kcghost and JOHN72

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I’ve been smoking English and Balkan blends for years and have never lost my appreciation for Latakia; although I do dedicate a few pipes to VA and VA Perique blends as a change of pace. Taste is subjective and clearly varies from person to person; otherwise everyone would order anchovies on their pizza.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I appreciate Latakia blends but definitely don’t smoke them as often as I used to, probably a ratio of 1 in 30 smokes. I think it is totally possible to get Latakia fatigue if smoking too much. The Latakia can muddle other components especially when too heavy handed.

I prefer blends with Syrian latakia over Cyprian but not too much of those left in the cellar. I wish I went deeper on Brebbia Balkan when I had the chance before they stopped with the Syrian.

novaki

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Meridian, MS
Currently smoking a lot of straight VA. I find English / Lat bombs make it harder to sus out the nuances in other non-English blends, so I generally avoid them for that reason. That being said, Star of the East Flake is one of my favorites and I'd never say no to Plumb Pudding.

Reactions: J.Henry845
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I smoke a decent amount of Lat blends, but I only smoke them a 1-3 times/week and with the exception of Northwoods and GLP Chelsea Morning, I only smoke them during the fall and winter months. Maybe that's why I haven't had a burnout yet (and hopefully never). That being said, QN and SotEF are both in my top 10 Lat blends (I have a lot of blends, lol).

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I love Latakia but have always had a few blends to have a change, I find that if I stick to just one tobacco I can't taste it after a few day's so, I alternate with my collection of tobaccos and always try and find a new tobacco but this is hard with over 50 years of piping.