Not open for further replies.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Jun 9, 2018
England
DB Cooper?

LOL! It's funny you mention Cooper. A few weeks ago I was listening to the Kid Rock song Bawitdaba and one of the lines is:

"And to D.B. Cooper and the money he took"

This got me wondering, so I Googled it and found a documentary (link below) about him and his exploits.
It's an amazing story. One of the things that blew me away was in the early 1970's you could board a domestic flight in the US with no checks. You could be carrying a knife, a gun, a bomb, anything. I'm guessing things got tightened up after the spate of hijackings later in the decade.

D.B. Cooper was never caught. They estimated his age at the time of the skyjacking to be about 40, so today he'd be around 90.
If he didn't die that night and is still alive I wonder what he's up to? Maybe he's living quietly somewhere, maybe he smokes a pipe? Who knows? Maybe he even contributes to forums dedicated to his hobby? Maybe......

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always suspected he didn't plan much beyond the parachute so didn't do so well after he landed, if he did so in reasonably good shape. There must have been a lot of feelers out for "a new man in town" beneath the drop zone buying a car with cash, etc. But it's fun to think of him living in a beach house in Jamaica with a good investment income and a kind Jamaican wife, or something like that, appealing to the outlaw in us all. Assuming that somehow the outlaw can go on to behave himself otherwise.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I always suspected he didn't plan much beyond the parachute so didn't do so well after he landed, if he did so in reasonably good shape. There must have been a lot of feelers out for "a new man in town" beneath the drop zone buying a car with cash, etc. But it's fun to think of him living in a beach house in Jamaica with a good investment income and a kind Jamaican wife, or something like that, appealing to the outlaw in us all. Assuming that somehow the outlaw can go on to behave himself otherwise.

He probably didn't live. In the documentary they tell you that some of his money was dug up a few years back, they think it was the river washed it up. You add that to the fact none of the bills ever came to the attention of the FBI and it all adds up to him drowning. But you never know.
I too like the idea of him getting away with it. He didn't physically harm anyone and the guy had plenty of courage and DEFINITELY thought outside the box, which I always admire.
The fact he was dressed in a black suit, was drinking bourbon & soda and chain smoking cigarettes during the flight makes me like him even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.