PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I ran into a young guy who had bought a fine artisan pipe. He was proud of it but there was a problem. He was about to get married and his wife to be, was upset he had spent so much with a wedding pending. I offered him pennies on the dollar and reminded him how upset his bride would be every time he smoked this pipe. He agreed sadly and the deal was done. I thought I was soooo cunning.
Yesterday, the first time I smoked the pipe, I dropped it and a cow stepped on it smashing it beyond repair. Karma is a bitch.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I ran into a young guy who had bought a fine artisan pipe... I dropped it and a cow stepped on it smashing it beyond repair. Karma is a bitch.
Karma, consequences or what happens to a person, happens because they caused it with their actions and is not about punishment or reward. It is action and reaction. The action you already recognized and the reaction was in measure.

If real punishment was intended then the pipe would have been in your mouth when the cow stepped on it. ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I ran into a young guy who had bought a fine artisan pipe. He was proud of it but there was a problem. He was about to get married and his wife to be, was upset he had spent so much with a wedding pending. I offered him pennies on the dollar and reminded him how upset his bride would be every time he smoked this pipe. He agreed sadly and the deal was done. I thought I was soooo cunning.
Yesterday, the first time I smoked the pipe, I dropped it and a cow stepped on it smashing it beyond repair. Karma is a bitch.
not sure that's Karma as much as the pipe committing suicide. Think about it you're a pipe you find your person and then they get rid of you to some stranger for pennies on the dollar. That guy hangs out with cows (pipes don't understand agriculture).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Karma, consequences or what happens to a person, happens because they caused it with their actions and is not about punishment or reward. It is action and reaction. The action you already recognized and the reaction was in measure.

If real punishment was intended then the pipe would have been in your mouth when the cow stepped on it. ?
NICE. It's awesome to run into someone that understands this out in the wild. Karma the laws of cause and effect. I like putting this way. If you walk down the street punching people in the face, eventually you'll run into someone that knows how to fight levels above what you can handle.....
That said I swear I've seen times where it is a punishment like the time there was this douche bag in a UnderArmour shirt (not that wearing a shirt like that says anyone is a douchebag, however if they are it gives a good hint about the type of douchebag they are). First I see this boy in an adult body puff up and glare at a hobbling old man then laughed at me twisting my ankle then precede to slipping on loose gravel fast first. I just told him to have a nice day. literally. I think that might have been punishment or at least a warning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why do I suspect that karma only happens to people with consciences? It certainly happens to me. I certainly know or know of distinct bounders who only seem to age well and prosper beyond most. But I suspect that people who suffer from Karma treat others better and may have better relations with other people. As for the insulated egos who benefit from their crimes, maybe that's their deal with the devil. I don't know. Maybe give the kid and his bride an unexpectedly nice wedding gift, within reason, to soften your self-judgement.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Why do I suspect that karma only happens to people with consciences? It certainly happens to me. I certainly know or know of distinct bounders who only seem to age well and prosper beyond most. But I suspect that people who suffer from Karma treat others better and may have better relations with other people. As for the insulated egos who benefit from their crimes, maybe that's their deal with the devil. I don't know. Maybe give the kid and his bride an unexpectedly nice wedding gift, within reason, to soften your self-judgement.

I usually opt out of karma conversations, but I'm skeptical of it. I think that doing right by people is its own reward, and that expecting nothing in return means you'll never be disappointed. Being a jerk may never have repurcussions, but that's a shitty way to live. Doing what you know is right, regardless of benefit, is the way to go.

Mood: Zen. ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You should have done the right thing, tell him to keep the pipe, buy a bunch more like it and dump the girl. Explain how someday, he'd thank you. In all likelihood, he'd ignore this sage advice. Then offer him pennies on the dollar for the pipe. Since you first tried to do the right thing, the karma would be good.