PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
I have read about people storing tobacco safely for 10 years plus in Ball jars but on the product description it states: "Suretight lid keeps food fresh for up to 18 months." So how long will the seal last on Ball jar lids?

Reactions: J.GANDY

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I've only been in this hobby for the past two years, so I don't have many jars that have been closed much longer than 18 months, but I'm sure others on this forum have tobacco in jars that has been there for a decade or more, and it's stayed fresh the entire time.

My one experience was that I recently opened a jar of FVF from 2014 that I'd bought from a forum member. It popped something fierce when I opened it, spraying tobacco dust everywhere, but also indicating that the jar had held its seal the entire time and the aging process had proceeded as expected.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Agreed with Barrel proof ball jars and lids are designed for preserving food, pickles, jams and the like. Most of which have high acid content. Not really the same concern with tobacco. The rubber seal on the jars should not deteriorate under dry conditions for quite a long time.

Sometimes the lid ring will loosen if not stored at a consistent temperature. Good practice to just check for tightness periodically.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
They are super cheap. I've had old ones where the gasket appears and feels dry. This tends to be used ones that haven't been used in a while. I just recycle them.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don’t know if I’m the only one that noticed this but....

When I open well aged jars of Virginia flake the lid is on with a death grip and the flake just sits there....

When I open a jar of cut baccy, like Squadron Leader, the lid is appropriately secure, but I have to be careful or I get a tobacco shower.

• Wow
Reactions: rajangan

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
If I intend to jar tobacco for a long time, I heat up the lid in the sun or with a blow dryer to create a better seal. My grandfather would put lids in hot water before canning vegetables, so I kind of do the same, just not with water of course. Cosmic should appreciate that.

Reactions: rajangan