PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Eswey

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023
IMG_20230913_012347.jpg
IMG_20230915_012358.jpg

I saw an unusual Barling Shape on local market. It wrote "Barling" in first line and "London England" in second line on the stamp. Does anyone know what year approximately this pipe was made?

thanks in advance, folks..

Attachments

• IMG_20230913_012638.jpg
    IMG_20230913_012638.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2

Eswey

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023
It was probably made between the early and mid 1970's, after Imperial shuttered the Barling factories and outsourced manufacture to several other British pipe makers, includig Oppenheimer and Charatan. My guess is that this one was made by Charatan.
how about Barling's quality on that year? as we knew, Barling nowday had quality decrease compared family era.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
how about Barling's quality on that year? as we knew, Barling nowday had quality decrease compared family era.
There is a reason the era's are delineated, the quality of the product is that reason. But, your example may be a great smoking pipe. Collectors don't focus on that era, so it isn't discussed much. I've never been a Barlings fan before, I do not like the flat, stick of gum like stems (well crafted, the shape just didn't suit my mouth or eyes). I picked up a 1965 hallmarked bent billiard (there's a thread on it here) and it smokes wonderfully, equal to my other classic Brits.

Reactions: Eswey

Eswey

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023
There is a reason the era's are delineated, the quality of the product is that reason. But, your example may be a great smoking pipe. Collectors don't focus on that era, so it isn't discussed much. I've never been a Barlings fan before, I do not like the flat, stick of gum like stems (well crafted, the shape just didn't suit my mouth or eyes). I picked up a 1965 hallmarked bent billiard (there's a thread on it here) and it smokes wonderfully, equal to my other classic Brits.
thank you for the enlightenment. the price is 43USD, i think I'm gonna buy it

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is somewhat simplified, which is great because I've been able to stock up on some excellent smoking pipes for a fraction of the cost, in no small measure to collectors being generally ignorant or shallow.
Quality in the Barling factories did become more variable, certainly after the bloodletting during the summer of 1962 when the Imperial appointed general manger took over. But that doesn't mean that Barling factory made pipes (of which this one is not) all went to hell, not by a long shot. The other issue is that Barling also took over the manufacture of Titan pipes, so there was a lot more production running through the factory with a less experienced staff.

My first Barling pipe was a Canadian from this period. It smoked so well that it inspired my interest in Barling pipes. I now have about 100 Barlings spanning from 1883 to the early 1970's, and have done quite a bit of research on the brand.

In any event, concerns about the quality drop inside the Barling factories doesn't apply to this pipe. This one screams Charatan, and Charatan was a top tier pipe maker. Quality will be good.

Reactions: Eswey and OzPiper

Eswey

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023
This is somewhat simplified, which is great because I've been able to stock up on some excellent smoking pipes for a fraction of the cost, in no small measure to collectors being generally ignorant or shallow.
Quality in the Barling factories did become more variable, certainly after the bloodletting during the summer of 1962 when the Imperial appointed general manger took over. But that doesn't mean that Barling factory made pipes (of which this one is not) all went to hell, not by a long shot. The other issue is that Barling also took over the manufacture of Titan pipes, so there was a lot more production running through the factory with a less experienced staff.

My first Barling pipe was a Canadian from this period. It smoked so well that it inspired my interest in Barling pipes. I now have about 100 Barlings spanning from 1883 to the early 1970's, and have done quite a bit of research on the brand.

In any event, concerns about the quality drop inside the Barling factories doesn't apply to this pipe. This one screams Charatan, and Charatan was a top tier pipe maker. Quality will be good.
thanks for the enlightenment

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
do you mind to share about quality of your pipe? thanks in advance..
I collect Freehands as well as Petersons, my Barling Freehand smokes great, it was my first Freehand and it got me in to collecting them, most of mine are Danish but I have many from other countries, I have a few other Barling's that are great smokers but not Freehands, you have a great pipe there and I am sure it will serve you for many years, a great find, your a lucky man.

Reactions: Eswey