PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
These are quite a bit more expensive than most other top quality brands, like Imp, Altinays, ect.

Are they supposed to be top teir in some way?

Almost $500usd I'm seeing.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
These are quite a bit more expensive than most other top quality brands, like Imp, Altinays, ect.

Are they supposed to be top teir in some way?

Almost $500usd I'm seeing.
They are made by Altinay, and no better or different than Altinay's offerings...you're just paying a premium for the Barling brand. If you like them, just get an Altinay...IMO.

PS: and the Barling style/shape choices are rather limited...you have a much larger choice with Altinay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am stunned to know that Barling is still blinging up pipes after all these years!
The IP was bought by K&K, so nothing to do with the old Brand. Actual Barling meerschaum pipes from the mid 19th thru early 20th century can be very pricey, but when you look at the often complex and elegant silver work it's easy to understand why.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes have a romance to them, so you have to be guarded when you reach a certain price point. People can be wooed way past a price that would stand in a re-sale.

If you are able to drop a lot of money, and want to, I'd say study the hell out of it, or you will likely pay too much.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pipes have a romance to them, so you have to be guarded when you reach a certain price point. People can be wooed way past a price that would stand in a re-sale.

If you are able to drop a lot of money, and want to, I'd say study the hell out of it, or you will likely pay too much.
just the other day I looked at a pipe and almost fell out of my chair when I looked at the price of a barely remarkable pipe. I thought wow that's the same thing as the 100 dollar pipe but straight grain and no fills is worth 500 bucks to someone.

Reactions: kcghost

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
They`re up to $544 with the silver cap. And they`re all fitted with 9mm filters...