PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I arrived pretty early to the craft beer craze, in 2010 or 2011 latest. I was driven by novelty, and when something new came out I simply had to try it. By 2015, crazy insanity was in full swing, so everybody and his mother was making IPA's, Coffee Oatmeal Stouts, and dopplebocks.

I'm the kind of person who, when perusing a menu - food and beverage alike - I still tend to order whatever I haven't tried before, even when I positively adore something on the menu. New breweries and new releases still call to me, even after all this time.

When I shop for six packs to take home, however, this rule does not hold. Here, I employ preset standards; I first tried the Hopsecutioner (Terrapin Brewing, Athens GA) on-site in 2012 or 2013 and they began shipping to my state not long after. The Hopsecitioner isn't perfect but it's pretty damn close. On a 10 scale, I give this one a nine.

Because it's readily accessible, I'll only opt for another 6pk if it is notably superior to the Hopsecutioner. If I know I'll have 6 of something, why the hell would I chance it? The Hopsecutioner serves as my dividing line: my benchmark.

I'm the same way with tobacco. If I'm with friends, there's an 8 in 10 chance I'll pop a tin I've never tried before to create a new experience surrounding that blend. But if I'm at home, I tend to gravitate towards a few benchmark readily available favorites. For straight VA's, that means Cobblestone Chess Knight, Peterson Flake, or Capstan Blue. For English, SPC's Plum Pudding sets the standard. And if we're talking VAPer, we're looking Peterson De Luxe Navy Rolls.

I wouldn't give any of the above a perfect 10, but that doesn't stop them from being the perfect tin in those moments when quality calls for the readily available familiars. What are your benchmark blends?

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
If I've interpreted the question correctly, these are blends that get smoked quickly, almost subconsciously,once the tin has been opened. Ones that you know once smoked can be replenished immediately, so stuff like Germains/Esoterica are not in the picture. For me, the following are some examples: McConnells Scottish Flake; Rattrays Marlin Flake; GH Rum/Jamaican Flake; Solani Silver Flake; Peterson Flake; GH Louisiana Flake; Solani Virginia/Perique Flake. None of those guys last long in my rotation, once popped, I don't stop.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
If I've interpreted the question correctly, these are blends that get smoked quickly, almost subconsciously,once the tin has been opened. Ones that you know once smoked can be replenished immediately, so stuff like Germains/Esoterica are not in the picture...
Exactly. If I could I'd smoke FVF all the time. But I don't have that much, and so there's Peterson Flake.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I can't help but think that I was partially at the "whim" of whatever blends I tried early on...
Did I really love those blends that much, or was it because it was an early example of the genre?

And in order to truly understand which it is, I'm still "researching" by constantly trying new blends.
But some things that fit the bill at the time have been set back for future enjoyment.

Early Morning Pipe
Presbyterian
Nightcap
Old Dublin
Peterson Flake
Capstan Blue
A few in the HH line

In this case, my benchmarks are getting smoked LESS, for the time being.

Reactions: jbfrady

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
If I just want a reliably good smoke and I'm not looking to be adventurous and try something new, you'll most often find that I've loaded a bowl with Peterson Irish Flake, HH Old Dark Fired, or F&T's Special Brown Flake.