PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
i have asked this elsewhere and it has been suggested to try on here as well
I have a Bent Falcon stem that the bit has only a small amount of bend to it,resulting in the bowl being tipped towards me when clenching.
I would like to bend it a little more but I think you cant just heat it like vulcanite.Does anyone have any ideas?
I have tried heating the metal but only succeeded in either melting the tube or kinking/cracking it.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
i have asked this elsewhere and it has been suggested to try on here as well
I have a Bent Falcon stem that the bit has only a small amount of bend to it,resulting in the bowl being tipped towards me when clenching.
I would like to bend it a little more but I think you cant just heat it like vulcanite.Does anyone have any ideas?
I have tried heating the metal but only succeeded in either melting the tube or kinking/cracking it.
So you have already kinked and cracked it? Is this for a different pipe then? maybe some pics for us slow kids?

There is also this

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
What are you trying to bend, the nylon stem or the aluminium part?
I should think you could bend the aluminium in a vice. I use the heat from a candle to bend both vulcanite & acrylic, don’t think that would work with nylon though. Maybe try heating it up in the oven or in a pan of boiling water?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
So you have already kinked and cracked it? Is this for a different pipe then? maybe some pics for us slow kids?

There is also this

No the kinking and cracking was on old stems I used as an experiment

this is a full bent pipe I wish to modify

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
What are you trying to bend, the nylon stem or the aluminium part?
I should think you could bend the aluminium in a vice. I use the heat from a candle to bend both vulcanite & acrylic, don’t think that would work with nylon though. Maybe try heating it up in the oven or in a pan of boiling water?
You can bend the frame with gentle persuasion but the tube won’t like it,so I want to try to bend the nylon bit

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
No the kinking and cracking was on old stems I used as an experiment

this is a full bent pipe I wish to modify
Mine is this shape

I want this shape,this is an old pipe .I guess they may have been cast like that back then

notice the much more curved nylon bit,don’t say buy that one as with import taxes it would be about 135 usd all in

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
You would probably be much better off buying the one you want than trying to make it... "I guess they may have been cast like that back then" - ya think?...

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
You would probably be much better off buying the one you want than trying to make it... "I guess they may have been cast like that back then" - ya think?...
youre probably right,I will just have to keep looking until one comes up on that popular auction site this side of the pond,as the only ones i have seen with that shape are vintage ones.
Unless of course anyone here has a stem that shape they wish to dispose of.

Reactions: jhowell