PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Are there any benefits to have a sandblasted finish on a pipe? Or a rusticated finish? I get that they are generally less expensive and they cover up less spectacular grain, but I have also been told they smoke cooler and hold up better to abuse (maybe because they don't show scratches or dings as much). Is there any truth to those?

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Aside from being less delicate, a nice blast sometimes equals, if not surpasses, the effect of a smooth grain. I love the beautiful sandblasts.
I'm certainly not opposed to them!
First, they look cool as hell. Second, they have a nice feel. Third, even a shallow blast gives you about ten times the surface area for cooling, but if you hot box them, it doesn't matter if they have 100 xs the surface area. But, the added surface area helps if you already have fine breath control.
I definitely concur with the feel, they are far grippier in the hand than a smooth. Interesting that you confirmed the cooling point, I wasn't sure if that was just some subjective opinion or not.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
looks, no issues with pits or other flaws, and I can confirm they're great knock around pipes because they just don't show damage. My first pipe was a rusticated and dropped it one time saw a small chunk go the other way from the rest of the pipe. After a few months I couldn't show you where the ding happened. I remember too when I was picking my first real pipe that the explanation of rustication was primarily for aesthetics and to be used for yard work or hiking because it won't show damage. As far as cooler smoking and all that I see zero evidence of it. I guess in theory it might dissipate heat a little faster but I doubt it would do so in any significant way.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
They’re more better. That’s a technical term BTW. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

But yeah, what Cosmic said and everyone else had added.

Nothing at all wrong with smooth finishes, flame or straight grain, lovely birdseye, etc., but … sandblast for a lot of us is just more better. ?

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Love the look of a sandblast. I wouldn’t go into it thinking them to be cheaper though. I’d argue there is probably more labor invested compared to a smooth for those who do it well and with planned intent.
The argument I've heard is that they are generally not as nice of grain, so the lesser aesthetic quality lowers the prices. I know it likely varies on the make and model, but a couple I've looked at had price variances of $20 or so between the two

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Unless a smooth has truly exceptional graining and staining, I find a good sandblast far more interesting to look at and to hold in the hand. A truly exceptional ring grain blast beats the crap out of any straight grain I've seen, and I seen and held the best.
That's fair. For me it really depends on the pipe model and shape. Some seem to be much more friendly to straight grain finishes than others (at least to me). I do prefer sandblast to rusticated finishes as a whole