PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Before I begin I will say I received written permission to post my experience with smokingpipes.com.

Some of you may have read my initial disappointment with a pipe I purchased in my new member post. I want to conclude that issue here with much happiness.

I purchased a Peterson Irish Harp 221 bent billiard. I love that these models have sterling bands and acrylic stems. I have bought and sold dozens of Pete's over the years but I have always had an affinity to the Irish Harp series in sandblast which by the way has been increasingly difficult to find the different models so that I have duplicates.

For the first time in 35 years of buying Pete's I received a pipe with a gap about a fingernails width between the stem and stummel where the acrylic meets the silver band. Thr stem was crooked because of it. I couldn't believe it. Guess once in 35 years is to be expected. Peterson has great quality overall in my opinion.

I went to chat online with the sp.com rep and sent pics. I assumed since both are now owned by Laudisi, I believe, this should be easy to return. The person on chat agreed to the return and sent me a return authorization email. The person also took a SKU to reserve the replacement.

About an hour or so later I noticed there was no prepaid label sent to ship back considering shipping was included in the price of the original pipe. I felt considering everything sp.com should pay the return on principle. I contacted support in email and was told the return was discretionary and they do not pay return shipping since the pipe is smokeable. Ugh. What about aesthetics?

That was when my hackels were raised. The issue certainly was not as they said and after a few back and forth emails with no resolution I came here to the pipe community and posted my complaint generically. I needed to vent. Maybe I missed something?

After some private messages with a couple people here, I once again sent in my pictures to smokingpipes.com.

Turns out they didn't see the pictures from when I sent then in their chat room. I never figured. Once they saw the issue again they agreed and quickly issued a return prepaid label to ship back. I was very happy.

I have to say that in all our exchanges between myself and smokingpipes.com we were polite and respectful. They were extremely responsive and returned my emails within a day or so, sometimes same day. They stand behind what they sell and are a credit to the community.

All in all a happy ending.

So now currently I await my new pipe and most likely will break it in with some Orientals considering this will be yet another dedicated pipe to that genre. As if I need yet another pipe. 😊

And yes since I'm here now I'll continue to post and add to the community.

Thanks to all!

Highlandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2023
Clynder, Argyll & Bute, G84 0QX
It would have been so easy to have vented your frustration, then got the result you did and not post anything else. It is testament to your character and the pipe smoking community that you then close the situation with this post and show your gratitude for resolution.

Sadly these days not all would as we seem to complain easy but find it so hard to praise.

Hope the new pipe is all you hope for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SP's customer service is a model for retail, especially with a niche market like pipe smoking. SP brought a pipe to a pipe show for me that saved me shipping, and followed through with a free tin of tobacco that resulted from a mistake in their listing of a freebie offer that was intended to go with a pipe. I wouldn't hold them to any of this on a case-by-case basis, but they do care and do well by their customers, so they are usually my first stop on purchases.

I would add, their site is so well designed and maintained, I use it as a reference for reminding myself of the constituents of blends I already have or am considering buying. It's also a reference on pipe shapes, finishes, series, etc. And it is about the best online market for estate pipes, with very accurate descriptions of the products with accurate listings on flaws.

I have used their store credit on used pipes to purchase other pipes I'd prefer. It's not just an excellent customer experience, but an example of consumer conscious management. They've been a sponsor of Forums since I joined in 2013.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Glad to hear your issue was resolved. Of all my purchases though SP, only once did I have a small issue with a Dagner MM pipe, and the email I sent regarding it was answered quickly and was able to resolve the issue. They are also amazingly quick with simple questions regarding tobacco. This kind of level of customer service makes it stress free. They are easily my no. 1 go to.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It would have been so easy to have vented your frustration, then got the result you did and not post anything else. It is testament to your character and the pipe smoking community that you then close the situation with this post and show your gratitude for resolution.

Sadly these days not all would as we seem to complain easy but find it so hard to praise.

Hope the new pipe is all you hope for.
I hate when people complain and never talk about the fix. I think the worst are the ones that experience a shipping delay accuse the seller of theft get their stuff and never update.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Smokingpipe is one of my preferred vendors both pipes and definitely tobaccos. Class operation. I've had one minor issue with a banged-up tin of a hard-to-get SG blend, and they credited the whole purchase and let me keep the tin. More than I expected.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I have only had good experiences dealing with SP.com customer service. They clearly care about their customers and listen if there is a problem. For example, I recently ordered a Savinelli Roma 111 EX and there was some cracking on the inside of the bowl. I raised the issue with customer service and sent some photos. They promptly issued me a refund and told me to keep the pipe anyway! That's what I call customer service. Well done SP.com!

Jun 3, 2023
Great to hear. Looking forward to my first tobacco purchase from them, should be here in a few days. Hoping it squeaks by customs (Canada).

Reactions: Nevaditude

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Glad to hear the full story, and the superb service. I too have a soft spot for Petes, just wish they would bring back the gorgeous Kapp Royal line!

Reactions: Nevaditude