Best decent mid range Church Warden opinion?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Hey all, I am a beginner in the pipe smoking world, I am very quickly becoming obsessed with buying new pipes/tobacco! I have just bought a Peterson Irish Harp in the 03 shape, that I am excited to receive and try to break in...I want to ask you all your opinions on the best church warden for a decent price? I don't want the cheapest budget buy, but I also can't afford the most expensive as I am planning on buying a few pipes to get me to the point of rotating pipes (i'd also appreciate any thoughts on the types of shapes you guys think would suit a beginner)...so far I have liked the:
- Peterson D15: http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=catviewind&idPrd=17735
- Savinelli Tandem pipe (I like these as it's similar to the Hans Christian Anderson in that it comes with short and long stems): http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=catviewind&idPrd=17874
- Molina Apple shape: http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=catviewind&idPrd=10853
Any opinions on these pipes or a better option would be much appreciated! I am currently out of country and can't get to a shop to try them in person...
thanks so much in advance, I love the info and experience I read in these forums, and the camaraderie between pipe smokers isn't found in many other forums...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm very satisfied with my Sav 601 churchwarden, pictured in the avatar at left. It is designed without a filter (as are most churchwardens). You might have to search a bit for it, but it is a good pipe at a reasonable price. Another good one, if you an work with a small bowl (good for flake, coin, plug, and ropes) is EWA; look them up at Iwan Ries. Don't take the low price as an indication of a cheap product; these are French pipes crafted to high standards. Scores of other options, but those are two good ones.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Gandalf, welcome to the group :puffy:
The three you show interest in are all good but it's worth bearing in mind the internal bowl dimensions as well as the aesthetics.
BTW Mysmokingshop.com are great folks to deal with and I buy all my tobacco from them if I'm too lazy to drive out a 50 mile trip to my nearest B&M.
Regards,
Jay.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
The Savinelli Hans Christian Anderson is a good one, as far as churchwardens go you may want to look at the Missouri Meerschaum Cobbit Shire, good smokers at under $20 US

Mar 1, 2014
My #1 recommendation is Big Ben.

http://www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Big-Ben-Churchwarden.html

I bought two of these before the prices got adjusted to the fluctuating Quid (keep your chin up I'm sure the British will pull through with the same resolve they always have), you might still be able to find one for under £80. Anyway, fit and finish on these is better than the Ferndown Churchwarden that I paid three times as much to get, Big Ben has drilling absolutely spot on, best button I've ever seen on a factory pipe.
#2 would be this Brebbia: http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2148

It's a little shorter than a normal churchwarden, and I think Brebbia is just a little less on point with drilling in the button (they tend to use a smaller drill to finish connecting the slot with the main airway rather than using the same bit through the entire length of the stem, which is more challenging), but overall I'm very happy with the construction on the few Brebbia pipes I do have.

(I'm sure the MPB Lectura pipes are fine but they're definitely using the regular pre-formed vulcanite stems.)
#3 is Savinelli. I don't have a specific recommendation but I had a couple of their regular Churchwardens once and it has a nice Acrylic stem with a more open draft than the common Vulcanite stems that you find on the vast majority of Churchwardens.
#4 I'd have to go with Vauen since most of their Churchwardens have a tapered tenon, which can be better for longevity. The stems are polished better than the common vulcanite stems but the draft is definitely more restricted than the other three I've mentioned (Vauen uses vulcanite stems where Big Ben, Brebbia and Savinelli use acrylic stems).
I have two Nording "Freehand" style Churchwardens, which are fine but the stems are the closest I've seen to using the ordinary stock vulcanite stem you'll find on everything on the low end (just with better polish), and otherwise they're just regular Nording pipes with a different stem (not bad pipes at all but the drilling in the shank is much rougher than the others listed here).
I don't have an Vauen Auenland pipe but I expect the only benefit those would actually provide is just aesthetics. I've never heard anything negative about the functionality of the pipes, and I'm sure it would be fun to own a Churchwarden that long, but I've never been convinced to buy one (though maybe I should have by now given how much money I spent on things like long clays and cheaper Churchwardens).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I love my Auenlands, and they can be had for far less on eBay than online retailers.
img_20151225_145225-600x450.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I am a beginner in the pipe smoking world, I am very quickly becoming obsessed with buying new pipes/tobacco!"
I just re-read your post and can't help but wonder if the best advice for you might be to get the hang of smoking a cheap basic pipe afore venturing out and buying more expensive 'exotic' styles of pipes?
For that I would suggest trying out a couple of MM cob pipes (Mysmokingshop.com have a huge range), then you get to practice with a pipe that if things go tragically wrong you will not be too much out of pocket.
I bought a Mark Twain cob from them last month for a mere £12 and it's a great smoker.
Regards,
Jay.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Thanks so much guys for all the info! Is it bad that I want every pipe you all suggested?! Chasingembers I have to admit the Auenland pipes look amazing...as you can tell from my name, I am a big fan of that style...do they smoke pretty well? They are completely out of the budget I was looking at but you might just have convinced me! Frozenchurchwarden the big ben church wardens look awesome too!
I bought a Peterson Irish Pipe 03 size which I'm using at the moment to learn how to smoke a pipe, but I'm now wondering based on your comments if I should grab a couple of the MM cobs to practice with...do they generally have a good taste to them when you smoke them? I ask as I had bought a $5 briar pipe to practice with and the taste was just awful, which is why the Peterson was bought...
Probably a silly question, but are there tobacco blends that are better suited/taste better when smoked in a churchwarden pipe, or is it as simple as any blend I like in the smaller pipe, will taste even better in the church warden? I've heard they smoke cooler thus better flavour/cooler taste?
Sorry for all the questions, the more I get into this awesome hobby, the more I realise I have to learn!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Chasingembers I have to admit the Auenland pipes look amazing...as you can tell from my name, I am a big fan of that style...do they smoke pretty well?
They are great smokers, and they have a very dramatic presence when smoking them.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Probably a silly question, but are there tobacco blends that are better suited/taste better when smoked in a churchwarden pipe, or is it as simple as any blend I like in the smaller pipe, will taste even better in the church warden? I've heard they smoke cooler thus better flavour/cooler taste?
I really haven't found any difference, but as you will find as you proceed, more often than not, the pipe will choose the tobacco.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
As many other have echoed across the forum, and on this post. Pick up a couple cons. They do have a few churchwarden styles which may even be more up your alley such as the cobbit, wizard, the shire, etc. not only that, the cobs are inexpensive, and a great way to break yourself into the tobacco world:) other than that, just have fun with it all:)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"MM cobs to practice with...do they generally have a good taste to them when you smoke them?"
When new a cob will impart a slightly sweet taste to whatever blend you smoke in it. This does however diminish as the pipe gets 'broken in'.
"I've heard they smoke cooler thus better flavour/cooler taste?"
I personally think it is a fallacy that long stemmed pipes actually smoke cooler. The speed at which the smoke travels down the stem is such that it has little time to cool down afore it reaches the mouth. Some folks would disagree with this however.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once again I find myself agreeing with Jay. Cooler smokes much more a function of drier tobacco, proper tamping and a slower cadence, than length of stem. (unless you're into hookahs)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I, too, don't believe that a churchwarden produces a "cooler smoke". It seems like many of those who make this claim are, in fact, merely looking for a prop to go with their hobbit (or in this case wizard) motif.
And that's fine. Have fun with it.
But if you're more interested in taking up the pipe (rather than just using it as a prop), I recommend you buy the best pipe and tobacco you can afford. Try as many blends as you can, take a lot of notes, and slow down. Personally I'm not partial to cobs but opinions vary. Keep reading, stay curious and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, Jay, I was aware of how rare that is—and dangerous!
BTW, I found my tin of Jackknife Plug, and it's a nice plug by both definitions - hardness and whole leaf tobacco!

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Thanks so much guys again for all the info, i appreciate so much the experience you all are able to share...although I shouldn't have asked as I have now ordered today 4 corn cob pipes and 2 church wardens based on all the advice i got! that's interesting to know with the church wardens and the cooler smoke not being so true, to be honest I just love the style and shape of them, but I love just as much the shape of my new Peterson Irish Harp 03 pipe! I have only taken up pipe smoking in the past month and i have already bought 12 tobacco blends and I don't seem to be slowing down...! so far I'm loving Peterson Connoisseur's choice, and Dunhill Night Cap...I have the Navy Rolls already ordered to try...bit nervous about how to use and pack the rolls though!
I have seen some posts regarding drying the tobacco before smoking...is there a 'rule' or way to know which tobacco's need drying and for how long? I'm guessing that changes based on the tobacco, but not sure if that's an instinctive thing I'll pick up over time?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Drying tobacco is a contentious issue with one of our members. But, as few tobaccos are tinned with low moisture, most can benefit from drying time. YMMV, but experimentation is your best bet. For starters, I recommend drying it more than you think is OK!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"BTW, I found my tin of Jackknife Plug, and it's a nice plug by both definitions - hardness and whole leaf tobacco!"
I'm chuffed for you John :puffy:
And time to agree with yourself...yes, rarely does a blend arrive here that does not require a certain amount of air dry time...most benefit from at least an hour depending of course on the temperature and humidity at your location.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.