Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
We all know about great designers (and great prices too). There are some affordable hidden gems out there, probably both old and new, that are well made and great smokers. What are they?

GO!

Reactions: greysmoke

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just about any quality estate or pipes currently available from all sorts of sources, not sure of the distinctions made or the question?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve smoked a pipe for over a half century and learn something new about it almost every day.

Unless they were made by prestigious and expensive London makers, a pipe made from Algerian briar well seasoned and ten years aged that is flawlessly beautiful is not a bargain, the secret is out, they cost lots and lots of money.

But this Pre 54 Marxman “Big Boy” could sell for as little as $15 if you get lucky.

It’s made of sponge soft, ancient, Algerian briar harvested before 1954 and aged most of a decade and was likely nearly a hundred years old then. Once you get the taste for old Algerian briar you won’t want anything less, to smoke.

It’s also the ugliest briar you can buy.

To admire and collect, the secret is Pipes by Lee.

IMG_5128.jpeg
img_5129-jpeg.255741

IMG_5131.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpeg
    IMG_5129.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_5133.jpeg
    IMG_5133.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Years ago, I would grab Irish Seconds whenever I could, but Peterson stopped offering them for sale and prices began to spiral upward until they rivaled those of estate Peterson brand pipes. They smoke every bit as well as a Peterson brand, so they can still be a good value if they're realistically priced -- I would say, no more than 60% of the price of a comparable Peterson estate. Occasionally, you can still snap them up for cheap.

Inspect them carefully as some are made of putty held together with scraps of briar. Others have just a few, or very few, putty fills. They may be either rusticated or smooth finished, and will have a fishtail bit. I have seen Peterson seconds with a P-lip, but those were stamped "Irish Bents" instead of "Irish Seconds."

The photo shows a Peterson Sherlock Holmes "Original" pipe and the same shape in an Irish Seconds.

1698165868403.png

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
You can still buy Irsih seconds in the EU. They are pretty crazy cheap...about 70 bucks. Im not a huge fan of black pipes...the majoity are black. I imagine because it hides the blemish. I still may keep an eye on them and pick one up. its hard to pass up a new pipe for the cost of an estate

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
You can still buy Irsih seconds in the EU. They are pretty crazy cheap...about 70 bucks. Im not a huge fan of black pipes...the majoity are black.
The majority are not black and without the “not Draculas” skewing the results, black is the minority for finish on Irish Seconds at SP EU.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Years ago, I would grab Irish Seconds whenever I could, but Peterson stopped offering them for sale and prices began to spiral upward until they rivaled those of estate Peterson brand pipes. They smoke every bit as well as a Peterson brand, so they can still be a good value if they're realistically priced -- I would say, no more than 60% of the price of a comparable Peterson estate. Occasionally, you can still snap them up for cheap.

Inspect them carefully as some are made of putty held together with scraps of briar. Others have just a few, or very few, putty fills. They may be either rusticated or smooth finished, and will have a fishtail bit. I have seen Peterson seconds with a P-lip, but those were stamped "Irish Bents" instead of "Irish Seconds."

The photo shows a Peterson Sherlock Holmes "Original" pipe and the same shape in an Irish Seconds.

View attachment 255789
There are 412 available at Peterson right now! We bought one for my wife’s father when in Dublin a year ago - couldn’t find a flaw, but lucky enough to have a bunch to sort through.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I find myself browsing them at SPE. Unlikely I'll buy one but I like looking at them and thinking "wow that's cheap!"
If I was going to gift someone a pipe I'd want to check them out first.

Reactions: AroEnglish

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I picked up a collection today that had one of these stamped Irish Bents. At first I thought the bowl may have been burnt through as it looks like it's been repaired, but the pipe is in such good condition, this didn't make sense. Interesting the comments about the puddy. For sure this has some. Pipe is in great shape otherwise. Paid 10$ CAD for it. Will clean it up and see if it makes it into my collection or I sell it.
IMG_5724.jpegIMG_5725.jpegIMG_5726.jpegIMG_5727.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123