Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'm looking to blend some Perique and Latakia in a 50/50 mixture.

Any suggestions on where to get the best components for such a blend will be appreciated.

There are quite a few options out there for both of these. I thought I'd get an opinion from the great tobacco gurus.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Sutliff Perique is pretty good. Better than C&D in my opinion. I really like the Whole Leaf Tobacco Perique - but you have to process it yourself, which is actually really easy.

Yea I was thinking of going the whole leaf route.

I've got a few jars of granulated that I bought from p&c, and a few jars of ribbon cut from there as well. These are two different animals. P&C no longer carries the granulated.. which is what I would buy if it was available.

The ribbon cut taste like its mixed with black cavendish.. pretty nasty actually.

I see that C&D has Granulated, long cut, and ribbon. I'm leaning towards one of those.

Reactions: MattRVA

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I found the price difference between WLT and leafonly to be due to how the leaf was packaged and nothing to do with quality. WLT sends you a big kahuna of a brick, which you can slice up (“granulated” as you get stems in there), or if you are patient, can unroll and then deal with individual leaves. Leafonly comes as individual whole leaf, which makes the processing of “long cut” (no stems) faster

I went with WLT as it was cheaper, and I like the way Don stands by his product. A year or so back he did a complete no questions asked free replacement for a batch of perique which may have been off.

For Latakia, I really like the stuff at totalleafsupply.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I use the stems too. Basically it comes vacuum packed. Don’t open until you are ready to process it. Slice it down and dry it out thoroughly, or store in fridge, or vacuum seal. I also purchased in 1/4pound quantities, it’s a bit more expensive but this just meant I only had to open one bag at a time.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I use the stems too. Basically it comes vacuum packed. Don’t open until you are ready to process it. Slice it down and dry it out thoroughly, or store in fridge, or vacuum seal. I also purchased in 1/4pound quantities, it’s a bit more expensive but this just meant I only had to open one bag at a time.

You do use a machine for this, don't you?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
You do use a machine for this, don't you?
For vacuum sealing yes. But for slicing I just used a sharp knife. 1/4lb once sliced and rubbed out well, covered about 4 oven trays lined with baking paper. I left for a few days in the sun. You want it bone dry if you are storing in jars at room temp otherwise it can continue to ferment

edit: with the Latakia. I slice up with stems too

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I'm a serious Syrian latakia addict. But at the global level, it's all gone. I used to get it from Wellauers and stocked up before things dried up. I use just a bit of it in some straight VA's like FVF, Union Square and now in WCC Simply Orange. Killer.

If you can get some H&H Vintage Syrian that stuff is very nice too. McClelland had some good Latakia too (not Syrian but excellent straight-up mixing lat)

I'm not a fan of Perique so I can't say how that and Latakia will do. i can only handle perique is small doses.

I recently bought some whole leaf tobacco, all types. I forget where I got it from but someone from here recommended the place. I'll look round. I haven't sample any of it. I bought to try rolling up my pipe tobacco like cigars/cigarillos.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
For vacuum sealing yes. But for slicing I just used a sharp knife. 1/4lb once sliced and rubbed out well, covered about 4 oven trays lined with baking paper. I left for a few days in the sun. You want it bone dry if you are storing in jars at room temp otherwise it can continue to ferment

edit: with the Latakia. I slice up with stems too

Good info here. Thank you. I was thinking you guys must have a shredder of some sort. I have a vacuum sealer.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I think @logs uses a shredder for his perique. I could be wrong.
That's true. I've processed a lot of raw perique into ribbon but it's a big pain really. Chopping with a knife is the faster way to go. I think shredders are better suited for burley and VA.

The same is true for latakia.... not really worth trying to make ribbon of it

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I'm looking to blend some Perique and Latakia in a 50/50 mixture.

Any suggestions on where to get the best components for such a blend will be appreciated.

There are quite a few options out there for both of these. I thought I'd get an opinion from the great tobacco gurus.
May I suggest to mix it with ground up Cotton Boll Twist, one twist per pound?

Perique and Latakia are very strong spice tobaccos but they might lack the Vitamin N that Cotton Boll Twist pulverized in a coffee grinder surely would provide.

I once smoked a full Lee Star Grade full of Cotton Boll dust.

My wife laughed until she started worrying I might not sober up.

It gives about a two or more hour nicotine paralysis.