PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Where? EBay, SP and other online merchants?

Yep. SP is usually pretty good to take the guesswork out of it and list the year made, if they know. eBay can require a little more work because it may not be noted and you may have to look at the stamping. You can always reach out to the seller and ask specifics, too. If he/she doesn’t know the date, you can ask for specifics on the stamping.

Also, you can do some research to see what shapes were offered during that year, go ahead and pick a few styles you may like, and then set saved searches with notifications accordingly. It’s a fun process.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill/White Spot is the only brand that has a dependable means of determining the year of manufacture, and even with them, you need a magic decoder ring (a reference site or book) to figure out what year.

I never miss an opportunity to tilt at this windmill and urge pipe makers, factory brands and artisan individual pipe carvers, to stamp or etch the year on each pipe. The only two I know that do this are Luciano pipes, although I'm not sure they are still in business, and the N.C. pipe maker Jerry Perry who etches the year of each pipe on the stem. I think other artisans do this as well. But of course, many artisans don't go back in time far enough to have made pipes when people were born forty or more years ago.

Many other factory brands you can guess within five years or so by shape, finish, patent number, etc. etc., but within five years is of no interest to the birth-year buyer.

If pipes were stamped, you could buy your own birth year, the birth year of your spouse and each of your children, the year you won the Nobel Prize or maybe landed a better job, etc. etc. Too bad pipe makers don't do this, and probably never will.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Dunhill/White Spot is the only brand that has a dependable means of determining the year of manufacture, and even with them, you need a magic decoder ring (a reference site or book) to figure out what year.

I never miss an opportunity to tilt at this windmill and urge pipe makers, factory brands and artisan individual pipe carvers, to stamp or etch the year on each pipe. The only two I know that do this are Luciano pipes, although I'm not sure they are still in business, and the N.C. pipe maker Jerry Perry who etches the year of each pipe on the stem. I think other artisans do this as well. But of course, many artisans don't go back in time far enough to have made pipes when people were born forty or more years ago.

Many other factory brands you can guess within five years or so by shape, finish, patent number, etc. etc., but within five years is of no interest to the birth-year buyer.

If pipes were stamped, you could buy your own birth year, the birth year of your spouse and each of your children, the year you won the Nobel Prize or maybe landed a better job, etc. etc. Too bad pipe makers don't do this, and probably never will.

Boswell pipes are well marked with dates, too. I just don’t think many folks here will be young enough to get a birth year from them.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Yep. SP is usually pretty good to take the guesswork out of it and list the year made, if they know. eBay can require a little more work because it may not be noted and you may have to look at the stamping. You can always reach out to the seller and ask specifics, too. If he/she doesn’t know the date, you can ask for specifics on the stamping.

Also, you can do some research to see what shapes were offered during that year, go ahead and pick a few styles you may like, and then set saved searches with notifications accordingly. It’s a fun process.
SP is also another great source. I managed to score a birthyear Dunhill 196 from them end of last year, beginning of this year, its a great smoker. Unfortunately, I dropped the darn thing and snapped the tenon...:mad: