PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Looking for an excuse to open a new tin (not that I really need one). And also just curious what you various fellas — codgers and newbies and everyone in between — prefer smoking during the colder months.

I’ve got a decent number of tins for someone who started cellaring in earnest less than 3 years ago. Maybe I have it in stock?

Or just maybe I’ll have to buy more …

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Not quite cold enough for it, but when it does, I really enjoy Star of the East flake.
I love the creamy, tangy flavors.
Cold enough already up in these parts (northern Wisconsin) though a mild autumn stuck around long enough. Of course, I enjoy Latakia in my pipe any time of the year, but they definitely suit the cold weather much better than straight VAs.

As it happens, I have a tin of Star of the East that is over two years old. Been wanting to crack it open sooner rather than later. And your recommendation is as good as any! Thanks!

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
The seasons have no impact on my choice of blend. I simply st6ick with what I grab at the time. I keep my smoking simple, no need to involve nature, the calendar or whatever. Just pick a likely blend, stuff, light and enjoy.
Neither the calendar nor the weather keeps me from stuffing and lighting up my pipe: which must be done out doors. Of course, I have to bundle up pretty well and walk at a clip when the mercury drops below zero!

I think it’s valid to smoke what you want when you want. I totally understand that.
I just like to eat what is in season out of the garden. Harvest deer for wintertime meals. Turkey for Thanksgiving. Even my choice in music seems to change with the seasons. The way I dress. Heck, even what I am doing to earn money changes with the seasons. And, tobacco choices, more cigars in the summer, latakia in the winter. I think it just helps me connect with nature and better enjoy the seasons.
There’s not much about winter in Alabama to look forward to, so these small things helps me find some joy in the season.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
For me, autumn heralds a switch from light aromatics, VAs and VaPers, to VaBurs, Balkans, Scottish blends, and heavier aromatics. Regarding the aros however, not overwhelmingly heavy (I got rid of my goopiest stuff months ago). Something like Drew Estate Grand Central (my favorite aro, fantastic in the fall), as opposed to a lighter one, like Stanwell Kir & Apple. But like you, I'm exclusively an outdoor smoker (my wife would feed my testicles to an alligator if I even tried), so when winter comes around, I have to work around the weather. When the opportunity strikes, I'm usually in the mood for a burley, like MacBaren Golden Extra, or a light English, like John Bull Royal English. Although I will second @cosmicfolklore and say that SOTE flake is some tasty action, for sure.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
For me, autumn heralds a switch from light aromatics, VAs and VaPers, to VaBurs, Balkans, Scottish blends, and heavier aromatics. Regarding the aros however, not overwhelmingly heavy (I got rid of my goopiest stuff months ago). Something like Drew Estate Grand Central (my favorite aro, fantastic in the fall), as opposed to a lighter one, like Stanwell Kir & Apple. But like you, I'm exclusively an outdoor smoker (my wife would feed my testicles to an alligator if I even tried), so when winter comes around, I have to work around the weather. When the opportunity strikes, I'm usually in the mood for a burley, like MacBaren Golden Extra, or a light English, like John Bull Royal English. Although I will second @cosmicfolklore and say that SOTE flake is some tasty action, for sure.
Excellent suggestions: thanks!

You and @gamzultovah both mention Kentucky blends, which I thought might make sense during the frigid months. I'm still really into those (or burleys), but definitely want to branch out more. As mentioned, I have a tin of SOTE that's been whispering sweet nothings to me out of my cellar (which is in the large desk drawer right where I sit). I also have a 2 oz tin of Quiet Nights that has also passed the two year mark; and a tin of Doblone d'Oro to stand in the place of LBF. Eager to try them both, but will probably start with the SOTE flake.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My usual go-to winter blends are aromatics but on those few occasions when it gets cool enough to light the fire pit, I find myself grabbing something else like 1792 Flake, Maltese Falcon or Acadian VaPer.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
My blend selections aren't seasonal either, but on an early-dark evening, a bowl of C&C Big and Burley strikes me as cozy.
Never really looked into Big 'n' Burley. Sounds intriguing: kind of like Haunted Bookshop with some latakia sprinkled in? I'm a big fan of Super Balkan and Stratfordshire (which I need to restock). How does it compare to those, in terms of taste and nicotine level?

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Fascinating to see that "seasonal pipe blends" isn't as big a thing as I thought. I typically smoke what I want (though not always when I want) as well. Again, this thread is an excuse to hear thoughts on "seasonal blends", and to force my hand in opening a new tin.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Fascinating to see that "seasonal pipe blends" isn't as big a thing as I thought. I typically smoke what I want (though not always when I want) as well. Again, this thread is an excuse to hear thoughts on "seasonal blends", and to force my hand in opening a new tin.
I suspect that many of us see "seasonal" blends as a marketing gimmick. As for opening a surprise blend, the Feast of Saturnalia is coming up late next month. Giving yourself the gift of a surprise blend and enjoying it is right in keeping with the spirit of the Holiday.