PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I will start this off by saying my foray into latakia was GLP Gaslight. I could tolerate a bowl, but ultimately said, "Latakia...it just ain't my thing" Since then, I have veered away from anything with Latakia in it. However, I just received an opened cake of Black Frigate and think I may have been a bit rash in my original assessment. Now, I do think the rum has something to do with my like of this blend (not going to say love, just yet. I have commitment issues). It seems to be persistent until the end. However, I can clearly taste the Latakia. It just seemed toned down in comparison to Gaslight. My question now is, what other blends are like Black Frigate? Not necessarily looking for rum flavoring, either. I am more interested in blends that are similar with smaller percentages of Latakia.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
GL Pease Sextant
Mac Baren The Solent Mixture
Mac Baren Plum Cake
Two Friends English Chocolate
Wilke Lizzie's Blood Red English
C&D Pasha's Dream
Stokkebye/Arango Balkan Supreme

I've tried some of the newer Black Frigate. The cake doesn't have the cohesion it once did and it seems like they've upped the latakia percentage.

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
GL Pease Sextant
Mac Baren The Solent Mixture
Mac Baren Plum Cake
Two Friends English Chocolate
Wilke Lizzie's Blood Red English
C&D Pasha's Dream
Stokkebye/Arango Balkan Supreme

I've tried some of the newer Black Frigate. The cake doesn't have the cohesion it once did and it seems like they've upped the latakia percentage.
Thanks C.E. I will look into these. I did see a post where you said there was less latakia in the blend years ago compared to now. I will never know the difference. However, I seem to like this blend, so I will see what these other blends do for my palate. I do have a couple of ounces of Balkan Supreme. I have had one bowl and recall liking it a lot (far more than Gaslight). I just think I would smoke more of Black Frigate.

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I hate Latakia. It doesn't have any in it, but C&D redburn is a rum blend without any latakia in it.

Ive never had Black Frigate, but I would think they would be kinda similar in that aspect. So if you enjoy rum, this is a good one.

Kind of irrelevant, but kinda not.
I have a couple of blends now that have rum flavoring. I believe Salty Dogs has rum in it. That one I have not confirmed whether I enjoy it enough to get more. But, I will take a gander at redburn. I appreciate the recommendation.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
You might try C&D Blockade Runner if you want to avoid the Latakia completely. It's a rum-based VA from the same family tree. If you want to stay in the light crossover genre, I find SG Perfection a nice smoke with a vanilla component in place of the rum. Presbyterian Mixture is a non-aro blend with an extremely light Latakia component that may have an intriguing taste profile depending on how much you gravitate to Orientals.

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Funny how taste works. I can't smoke that one due to the latakia overpowering everything else in it.
I could not agree more. I the tin note is pure camp fire to me (a delightful smell), but the flavor is diametrically opposed to that. I have about 96 grams of it in a jar that will most certainly outlast me.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
You might try C&D Blockade Runner if you want to avoid the Latakia completely. It's a rum-based VA from the same family tree. If you want to stay in the light crossover genre, I find SG Perfection a nice smoke with a vanilla component in place of the rum. Presbyterian Mixture is a non-aro blend with an extremely light Latakia component that may have an intriguing taste profile depending on how much you gravitate to Orientals.
Funny you mentioned Blockade Runner. That was the blend I tried after Black Frigate and I do not like it as much. Still working through the bowl, but I think I will age it a bit more to see how it fares (newly opened tin). I will see what Perfection is like. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Funny you mentioned Blockade Runner. That was the blend I tried after Black Frigate and I do not like it as much. Still working through the bowl, but I think I will age it a bit more to see how it fares (newly opened tin). I will see what Perfection is like. Thanks for the recommendation.
Haven’t tried Blockade Runner but Navigator is great. I also love Perfection and for a Latakia blend that isn’t defined by it Edward G Robinson was a great surprise. Don’t smoke it often but it is on my all time favorite blend list. Watch City Persian Slipper might be a good match but even better might be Glass Slipper which has no Latakia. Bobs Chocolate Flake and Bobs Square Cut also use a small portion of Latakia. I like the way the smokiness comes through on occasion but doesn’t define the mix.

Reactions: ChonkyTonks

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Haven’t tried Blockade Runner but Navigator is great. I also love Perfection and for a Latakia blend that isn’t defined by it Edward G Robinson was a great surprise. Don’t smoke it often but it is on my all time favorite blend list. Watch City Persian Slipper might be a good match but even better might be Glass Slipper which has no Latakia. Bobs Chocolate Flake and Bobs Square Cut also use a small portion of Latakia. I like the way the smokiness comes through on occasion but doesn’t define the mix.
I just received a bag of EGD. The bag note is quite nice. I pick up a sweet-ish cinnamon. Have not smoked it yet, but will sometime this week. Wasn't there a recent release of Glass slipper? I have tried very few of the WCC blends. I love the way you put it: "I like the way the smokiness comes through on occasion but doesn't define the mix" That is the essence of what I was trying to convey.

Reactions: ofafeather