Blends Like Early Morning Pipe but Without the Sourness?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I'll admit that I'm not generally an English blend smoker, I'm usually more of an aromatic and Burley guy, but I've been really enjoying having a bowl or two Peterson Early Morning Pipe every day this past week. I dig the smokey campfire flavor that doesn't taste musky or leathery like most English blends, but the thing that bugs me about it and is preventing me from making it part of my regular rotation is that I really don't care for the tart sourness that I can only presume is from whatever variety of Orientals are being used.

So, what I was wondering is if anyone knows of any blends similar to Early Morning Pipe (smokey and campfirey rather than leathery or musky) that don't have that sour oriental note? I've been considering giving My Mixture 965 a try, but I don't know whether or not the addition of Cavendish would be enough to cover up the Oriental sourness.

Reactions: Coreios and Scottmi

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Maybe Squadron Leader would be good for you? It’s an all day English that doesn’t seem overly tart/citrusy to me.

You might also consider getting a sample of Father Dempsey. To me it’s well balanced and it’s available in bulk and a real bargain. It’s more of a full flavor than EMP, but I haven’t found an English that I like miles better than this.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Stokkebye's English Luxury P17, smokes like a codger blend.

Holy cow it's an English blend without Orientals! That's coming home with me on my next TAD order for sure! 🤩

Keep the ones you have now, theres a good chance you'll like them later.

That's my usual strategy these days. If I don't like something I just throw it in a Ball canning jar and revisit it later in another 6 months or a year. There's been a couple blends that I absolutely hated the first time I smoked them, only to go back half a year down the road and find that my tastes had changed as I grew as a pipe smoker and I actually rather enjoy them now. I won't be surprised if eventually sometime down the road I find myself actually liking that Oriental sourness that's so off-putting to me at the moment.

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Holy cow it's an English blend without Orientals! That's coming home with me on my next TAD order for sure! 🤩

That's my usual strategy these days. If I don't like something I just throw it in a Ball canning jar and revisit it later in another 6 months or a year. There's been a couple blends that I absolutely hated the first time I smoked them, only to go back half a year down the road and find that my tastes had changed as I grew as a pipe smoker and I actually rather enjoy them now. I won't be surprised if eventually sometime down the road I find myself actually liking that Oriental sourness that's so off-putting to me at the moment.
I also hated the Fermented Virginia and some Orientals sourness. Took me a while, but I really enjoy it now. I don't find blends without it boring though. But I'm a tobacco smoker lol. I don't really fit into a category. Theres not much I wont smoke or hate. That sourness you speak of though really turned me off for a long time. I also found Virginias boring. Now I really enjoy them and can taste the Virginias tea and hay notes I never got before.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I also hated the Fermented Virginia and some Orientals sourness. Took me a while, but I really enjoy it now. I don't find blends without it boring though. But I'm a tobacco smoker lol. I don't really fit into a category. Theres not much I wont smoke or hate. That sourness you speak of though really turned me off for a long time. I also found Virginias boring. Now I really enjoy them and can taste the Virginias tea and hay notes I never got before.

It's definitely true that tastes in tobacco can change and mature over time as your palate gets exposed to different blends (and you learn to properly dry your tobaccos). I remember the first time I smoked Orlik Golden Sliced I couldn't taste anything but dandelions, but now I think it's probably the most complex and nuanced Virginia blend I've ever had. I do still get a little bit of those dandelion notes from it, but I also get green tea, hay, grass, a very natural floral flavor, and occasionally a sweet honey taste.

I have a bit of an eclectic palate and try to smoke a bit of everything too. Right now my usual rotation is:

- Cult Blood Red Moon
- Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening
- Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake
- Orlik Golden Sliced
- Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop
- Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

I really love them all, though I think I'd like to add at least one codger blend and an English blend of some kind to the rotation. On Monday I've got an order arriving for 16 different codger blend samples to try though, so I'm sure I'll find at least one that I really enjoy.puffy

Aug 1, 2012
It has latakia? Honestly it's so light on the lat that you might not want more. Try more lat heavy blends that have been suggested but realize that they will all be a lot stronger in flavor. Don't get me wrong, EMP is good, it's just not a blend with much latakia

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
It's definitely true that tastes in tobacco can change and mature over time as your palate gets exposed to different blends (and you learn to properly dry your tobaccos). I remember the first time I smoked Orlik Golden Sliced I couldn't taste anything but dandelions, but now I think it's probably the most complex and nuanced Virginia blend I've ever had. I do still get a little bit of those dandelion notes from it, but I also get green tea, hay, grass, a very natural floral flavor, and occasionally a sweet honey taste.

I have a bit of an eclectic palate and try to smoke a bit of everything too. Right now my usual rotation is:

- Cult Blood Red Moon
- Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening
- Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake
- Orlik Golden Sliced
- Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop
- Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

I really love them all, though I think I'd like to add at least one codger blend and an English blend of some kind to the rotation. On Monday I've got an order arriving for 16 different codger blend samples to try though, so I'm sure I'll find at least one that I really enjoy.puffy
I love all those you mentioned except Ennerdale. But I dont hate it lol. That's a wild blend! You're gonna love that sour note sooner than later. lol Definitely hang on to those sour ones you think you hate. You're journey is similar too mine and I made the mistake of buying too much of what I thought I loved.

Reactions: Skippy B. Coyote

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I love all those you mentioned except Ennerdale. But I dont hate it lol. That's a wild blend! You're gonna love that sour note sooner than later. lol Definitely hang on to those sour ones you think you hate. You're journey is similar too mine and I made the mistake of buying too much of what I thought I loved.

Ennerdale is certainly a unique one! I loved it from the very first puff and think it tastes like ethereal magic, like something the wizards of Tolkien's Middle Earth would have smoked, but I can totally see how many other people think it tastes like the bottom of their grandmother's purse. 😆

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
You can always try what I do. Get a tin of blending lat and sprinkle it in a pipe full of your favoite blends and see what you like. Im a vaper fan. Some lats have perique in them but I prefer vapers with a little lat.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe is one of my go to blends. I've yet to try it since it's been branded with the Peterson name as I still have 7 Dunhill EMP tins in my cellar. Over the years I've found that Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture is very similar to EMP. Skiff Mixture is also one of my go to blends. Either blend is great in the morning with a nice coffee.

Reactions: yanoJL

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
A few options for you if you want something like EMP but less tangy/sour oriental:

1. Ashton Consumate Gentleman or Davidoff Royalty, a slightly sweeter mild English, but not an English Aro

2. Sutliff Eastfarthing or Revelation Match, these have a topping so more English aro but both are very good.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
You might also consider getting a sample of Father Dempsey. To me it’s well balanced and it’s available in bulk and a real bargain. It’s more of a full flavor than EMP, but I haven’t found an English that I like miles better than this.

I actually have an 8 oz Ball jar full of Father Dempsey that I'm smoking a bowl of as we speak! I used to enjoy Father Dempsey a lot and smoked it regularly but one day it's like my palate just changed and that smokey campfire taste I used to get from it turned into more of a musky B.O. kind of flavor, like I was smoking tobacco laced with some dude's distilled and concentrated armpit sweat. So, I shelved Father Dempsey for a few months and just returned to it for the first time tonight, and I'm thankful to report that it does indeed taste like a campfire to me again and not musky at all.

Comparing it to Peterson Early Morning Pipe by smoking a bowl of each side by side, Father Dempsey is a similar smoke but less tangy/sour as well as being a little heavier and more full bodied. At the same time, in spite of being more full bodied, Father Dempsey seems a little less flavorful than Early Morning Pipe to me. I'm no tobacco blender so I couldn't say exactly why that is, but I'm guessing that those tangy/sour Orientals that I thought I didn't like in Early Morning Pipe add quite a bit more brightness and high notes to the flavor than the darker and earthier Orientals used in Father Dempsey; which make for a more cohesive albiet less varied and flatter flavor experience. Father Dempsey definitely delivers a stronger campfire flavor than Early Morning Pipe, but it really sticks to that one dark and woodsy flavor profile and doesn't stray too far from it throughout the bowl. Early Morning Pipe on the other hand bounces around a lot between the bright Virginias, the tangy/sour Orientals, and the campfirey Latakia.

They're both fine smokes and excellent quality blends, though bizarrely I think I might actually prefer Early Morning Pipe; and for all the reasons that I thought I wanted something else! Apparently Dunhill knew what they were doing when they picked out those tangy/sour Orientals for this blend. I didn't think I liked them, but quickly found myself missing the bright high notes they provided as soon as I smoked a similar blend without them. Taste buds sure are weird! cray

Last edited:
Reactions: coys

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I might be way off here but I find Presbyterian Mixture to be more musty than sour with it's Orientals and it's quite light on the Latakia.