PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
So McClelland had Yenidje Supreme and Frog Morton on the Town that each featured these Orientals. Obviously these go fir crazy amounts if the come up for sale at all anymore.

So, I'm on the hunt for blends that feature these tobaccos well, similar (but not looking for exact copies) to the blends mentioned above.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
You won’t find any current blends with Yenidje. Basma can still be found but Yenidje hasn’t been available for several years.

What happened to McClellands stock? I'd assumed they sold it all off (assuming they had enough stored away)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I sincerely doubt there’s any appreciable quantity lying around but the McNeils can speak for themselves.

My point is no current blends have Yenidje because Yenidje is gone. Any you find (and I’d bet you find none) would be priced according to its rarity, just as are all the out-of-production blends that contain it.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
My point is no current blends have Yenidje because Yenidje is gone. Any you find (and I’d bet you find none) would be priced according to its rarity, just as are all the out-of-production blends that contain it.

Thank you for sharing this information. I’ve been curious about the fate of Yenidje for a while. Would you be able to say more about the circumstances that lead to the end of Yenidje as we knew it?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I sincerely doubt there’s any appreciable quantity lying around but the McNeils can speak for themselves.

Ken Byron, LJ Peretti, and a few others are still using it.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
This is awkward as so many blends claim to have Yenidje whether online or directly on the tin.

I spoke to someone in the industry who shall remain nameless (unless they care to pipe in) some months ago on the topic of Yenidje being in short if not nil supply and they assured me that it was still being used in a few cigarette brands and was still being produced and in no apparent danger of going away.

I do not bring this up to stir the pot, I'm just very interested as I love all the different Orientals and would like to have definitive answers as to what's fine, what's on its way out, and what's gone for good as in Syrian Latakia.

Thanks for any help.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is awkward as so many blends claim to have Yenidje whether online or directly on the tin.

I spoke to someone in the industry who shall remain nameless (unless they care to pipe in) some months ago on the topic of Yenidje being in short if not nil supply and they assured me that it was still being used in a few cigarette brands and was still being produced and in no apparent danger of going away.

I do not bring this up to stir the pot, I'm just very interested as I love all the different Orientals and would like to have definitive answers as to what's fine, what's on its way out, and what's gone for good as in Syrian Latakia.

Thanks for any help.
Seeds are still widely available and I bought several pounds from Whole Leaf a few years back.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia

Thanks for any help.
I’ve heard that most of the Oriental leaf produced goes to cigarette manufacturers so it wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve also heard that it’s becoming more difficult to source individual varietals because of high demand from cigarette makers, leading to more blended Oriental mixtures. I haven’t checked whole leaf lately but some rare varietals used to be found there, as mentioned above.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I haven't bought any White Knight in many years because I bought over a pound of it in 2017. Unless the recipe has changed it has Yenidge in it and so does the Sutliff Match Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture, which is the same blend, only in bulk.

Edit: Magnum Opus purports to contain Izmir, Basma, and Yenidje.

If you enter "Yenidje" into the search field at smokingpipes.com, only White Knight and Magnum Opus come up. "Basma" returns 8 results.

Last edited: