PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I usually smoke 2 or 3 blends in my rotation, my go to blends. They all do a nice job of complimenting each other that is bringing out something special in each. I do this a lot with cigars, something more hay barnyard like a CoRo then something more on the espresso / chocolate note side like a monte.

For pipes i have been smoking a lot of OGS then following that up with a bowl of CRF w/Perique, while the age old argument is does OGS contain Perique or not, it doesn't matter for this it's that very slight citrus i get from it, it really brings out the stewed fruit of the Perique in the CRF.

So do you have any combinations that you find enhance each other, not mixed into one bowl, but one bowl then the next?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not exactly, but I do believe that rotating genres helps keep the tastes of blends fresh. Like, it will prevent burning out on Latakia and/or Perique, if you smoke some burley, oriental, or cigar leaf alternating with the Lat and Per blends.

I think the spelling for this purpose is complement. A compliment is a praising remark, I believe.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I usually smoke straight dark burley, Sometimes tho I’ll smoke a bowl of five bros, and I can really taste the topping (cocoa or something that brings out the cocoa) after the c&d dark burley. In the same way the very light Lakeland note in dark Birds Eye can be pretty pronounced after the dark burley. So for me these 3 really compliment each other.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I usually smoke straight dark burley, Sometimes tho I’ll smoke a bowl of five bros, and I can really taste the topping (cocoa or something that brings out the cocoa) after the c&d dark burley. In the same way the very light Lakeland note in dark Birds Eye can be pretty pronounced after the dark burley. So for me these 3 really compliment each other.
I do the same with Burley I have a few dedicated Burley pipes and it is nice to pull out and compare the subtle nuances from what some call a tasteless leaf.

Reactions: makhorkasmoker