PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Morning, or evening!

Looking for recommendations here: I really like MacBaren’s Dark Twist Roll Cake, would just like to find something a bit stronger, with a touch MORE maple. I searched tobaccoreviews, and got a good stack of GH Sweet Maple Twist thinking it’d be what I am after yet the maple is very very much in the background, almost indiscernible for me. Looked at CD Autumn Evening but I am very wary of C&D overall, and any mention of Cavendish in particular. Of the rest that come up I spot GH Rum Flake, but still it seems hit and miss in terms of maple and strength according to the reviews, so turning to ask the audience for suggestions :)

Anything fitting the bill according to the experts?

Thank you!

Reactions: JOHN72

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I doubt you'll find anything stronger, since most of the maple tobaccos I'm aware of are in the mild to medium range. C&D Autumn Evening isn't a bad one, then there's Wilke Vermont Maple. Most of these tobaccos are Cavendished, even DT Roll Cake.

Reactions: JOHN72 and karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you both, seems I'm SOL then. Never mind, the MacB DT Roll Cake is very good, and I've found ways to bring it closer to my tastes by boosting its strength and heft with stuff like GH Dark Bird's Eye. I enjoy it as it is, but so much more after tweaking it.

Every time I hover over Autumn Evening I back out because I read "hot sweet air" between the lines. I may be wrong. I may eventually get it for use as a blending tobacco.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Thank you both, seems I'm SOL then. Never mind, the MacB DT Roll Cake is very good, and I've found ways to bring it closer to my tastes by boosting its strength and heft with stuff like GH Dark Bird's Eye. I enjoy it as it is, but so much more after tweaking it.

Every time I hover over Autumn Evening I back out because I read "hot sweet air" between the lines. I may be wrong. I may eventually get it for use as a blending tobacco.
Just grab an ounce, what could it hurt?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I also like Maple and went on a run to find “the one.” So far, Autumn Evening is the best one. Still want to try the Wilke, but have been disappointed with so many I’m not sure I want to try anymore and chase something that’s not out there. Ones I don’t recommend are Sutliff Maple Street & Maple Walnut and Scotty’s Salmon River.

Good luck on your quest!

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Just grab an ounce, what could it hurt?
No access to other than a 57g tin here, and it’s twice the price of MacBaren’s DT Roll Cake (which i know i like) weight for weight, so if it goes like nearly everything else I’ve smoked from C&D I’ll be looking at that tin and hearing “I could have been something you like, har har har” in my ear :)

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Autumn evening is definitely not "hot sweet air". If smoked with the breath method, it's a delicious maple flavor. If sipped, you can definitely taste the red Virginia cavendish and maple.

I am not a fan of most aromatics, but Autumn Evening has always been a favorite, even when I smoked nothing but lat bombs. It definitely delivers on flavor.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Autumn evening is definitely not "hot sweet air". If smoked with the breath method, it's a delicious maple flavor. If sipped, you can definitely taste the red Virginia cavendish and maple.

I am not a fan of most aromatics, but Autumn Evening has always been a favorite, even when I smoked nothing but lat bombs. It definitely delivers on flavor.
Cheers, a very definite “maybe” then.

Reactions: solideogloria86