PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Some pipe folks on the Instagram got me looking into the old otc blend "Bourbon Street" as there is a match blend currently in production by Sutliff.

Looking into the blend on TR.com however I see that Bourbon Street was originally Bond Street by both Philip Morris and House of Windsor. I am very confused and have so many questions that I just know can easily be cleared up by the knowledgeable folks on here.

1. Bond Street is the original blend made by Philip Morris?
2. Did House of Windsor make Bond Street as well, or was it renamed to Bourbon Street when they started making it?
3. Do I have the Philip Morris/House of Windsor chronology correct?
4. JimInks complains of the original Bond Street being too perfumy and floral, but the Match is more bourbon. Did the old blends change when the manufacturers changed such that the Sutliff match is specifically of one and not the other? (i.e. Bourbon Street match and not a Bond Street match).
5. And most confusedly...on the C&D Pegasus page at TR.com it's noted that it too is "reminiscent" of the original Bond Street, yet it has neither the same components nor any toppings whatsoever, let alone a full blown aromatic. How is Pegasus reminiscent of Bond Street??

Reactions: Reggie

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve wondered the same regarding Pegasus and Bond Street. Having never smoked the latter, I do love Pegasus. — I’d read that Bob Runowski smoked a lot of Bond Street and in creating Pegasus he sought to, not recreate Bond Street but to arrive at the quintessential American Codger blend made with quality leaf.

But this doesn’t answer why the two blends differ so widely. Did he miss his mark? Pegasus is Pegasus - it’s not topped like Bond Street. — I think it was the interplay of the leaf that he sought in creating Pegasus. So including the topping in Bond Street wasn’t his focus. Creating an American Burley forward masterpiece was.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I’ve wondered the same regarding Pegasus and Bond Street. Having never smoked the latter, I do love Pegasus. — I’d read that Bob Runowski smoked a lot of Bond Street and in creating Pegasus he sought to, not recreate Bond Street but to arrive at the quintessential American Codger blend made with quality leaf.

But this doesn’t answer why the two blends differ so widely. Did he miss his mark? Pegasus is Pegasus - it’s not topped like Bond Street. — I think it was the interplay of the leaf that he sought in creating Pegasus. So including the topping in Bond Street wasn’t his focus. Creating an American Burley forward masterpiece was.
Creating an American Burley forward masterpiece was.
I agree and it's got a lil ooommph which at least for me is lacking in all the old OTC

Reactions: seanv