PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
So I bought my first two briar pipes - a Morgan Bones and a Rossi. Both of them came with a black coating inside the pipe. Is this common? I’ve heard a number of smokers talk and debate about creating a carbon cake in a new pipe, and they spoke as if there was no coating at all inside the bowl. Are most pipes sold with this coating or do the two I bought just happen to be in the small percentage of those that come coated? Just curious.

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
So I bought my first two briar pipes - a Morgan Bones and a Rossi. Both of them came with a black coating inside the pipe. Is this common? I’ve heard a number of smokers talk and debate about creating a carbon cake in a new pipe, and they spoke as if there was no coating at all inside the bowl. Are most pipes sold with this coating or do the two I bought just happen to be in the small percentage of those that come coated? Just curious.
I just got my Morgan Bones today and it had the coating also. Which one did you get?

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As Chasing pointed out, coatings are about protection.

But, if you smoke carefully with a new pipe, there is no need for it.

Uncoated chambers also allow you to experience the natural flavors of briar, that typically get masked with a coating.

For an experienced pipe smoker, buying an expensive pipe, a coating makes zero sense. You buy that ultra high end expensive pipe to experience it, in it’s full glory, and with an uncoated chamber, it’s like you make it your own too, forming a carbon layer over time.

P.S. Yeah, those pricey Dunhills have coatings which is odd, and the Danish like coatings too… The Italians don’t like coatings, but you can occasionally see them. Viva La Italy! 🇮🇹 LOL 😝

Oh my a Castello with a chamber coating, that would be horrific! LOL 😝

Last edited:

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I just got my Morgan Bones today and it had the coating also. Which one did you get?
I got the bent billiard, and I’m pretty pleased with it. I think I might buy another one of their pipes. I happen to like the look of them. I just smoked it for the first time tonight with some Shepherds Pie. Good smoke! It was also my first smoke with an unfiltered pipe. The only difference I noticed was I could slightly hear some gurgling of moisture towards the last 1/4 of the bowl.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's quite common. The original idea was to save smokers having to break in a pipe by pre-coating the chamber walls with a carbon mixture. Some people hate it. Others like it. And some, like me, don't care one way or another.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Most of my pipes are Vauen, which all come with a bowl coating. Their newer bowl coatings are black and some of the older ones are grey. I have no idea what the old coatings are. There was never an off taste I experienced from one though.

I have a few unfinished Savinelli seconds that came without a bowl coating and didn't notice much of a difference. It may have taken a bit longer to form a bit of a cake, but I don't like more than a thin layer.

On one of the early pipesmagazine.com radio shows Brian Levine said he preferred bowl coatings and he believes it makes the first five or six smokes of a break in time more enjoyable.

Reactions: yanoJL