PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AverageSmoker

Lurker
Apr 9, 2024
Philippines
Hi! Have you guys tried or is smoking using the "breath method"? I find it quite good, easy and more flavorful. The only con for me is that I seem to crave to smoke more. Lol

Your thoughts?

Pretty sure it's 'breath' without the "e". I've been wrong before....

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Like various packing methods, the "breath method" is basically just a way of teaching new and intermediate pipe smokers how to smoke a pipe properly. Many newbies (including myself when I started) puff too hard and fast - smoke in, smoke out, smoke in, smoke out - not realizing that there's more to it than that. The "breath method" is just smoking a pipe. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes natural and automatic. Just try not to accidentally inhale smoke, unless you intend to do so.

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
Never been able to master this method without inhaling the smoke a little more than I'm comfortable with. Seems nice and meditative in theory but in practice it feels harsher and I taste less.

Reactions: OverMountain

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Never been able to master this method without inhaling the smoke a little more than I'm comfortable with. Seems nice and meditative in theory but in practice it feels harsher and I taste less.
Same. I’m glad it’s helpful for others, but I feel like it doesn’t help me relax, because I’m too preoccupied about breathing in a way that’s not very natural to me.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I used the breath method when participating in long smoke competitions. I won twice and finished in the top five three other times.

I haven't done any competitions in four or five years but I still use the method when smoking my pipes. I find it makes for longer, more enjoyable smokes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Like various packing methods, the "breath method" is basically just a way of teaching new and intermediate pipe smokers how to smoke a pipe properly. Many newbies (including myself when I started) puff too hard and fast - smoke in, smoke out, smoke in, smoke out - not realizing that there's more to it than that. The "breath method" is just smoking a pipe. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes natural and automatic. Just try not to accidentally inhale smoke, unless you intend to do so.
I always recommend the method to new smokers. For one reason to show them how little effort is required to smoke a pipe. And give a baseline of how the smoke can feel and taste. How you just need to give a little assistance to the smoke to keep the ember going and that's it.
Fun fact if I power walk (the running late for an important meeting) I find that I end up breath smoking without trying to.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I always recommend the method to new smokers. For one reason to show them how little effort is required to smoke a pipe. And give a baseline of how the smoke can feel and taste. How you just need to give a little assistance to the smoke to keep the ember going and that's it.
Fun fact if I power walk (the running late for an important meeting) I find that I end up breath smoking without trying to.
I concur. It's amazing how, when one slows down their smoking cadence, the true flavors of the tobacco are allowed to come through. A lot of people find Haunted Bookshop to be ashy or cigarette-ish because they smoke it too hot and too quickly. The flavor is wonderful when smoked slowly.
Making big plumes of thick smoke is fun at first, but the resulting scorched tongue is not. I think some people starting out have an unrealistic expectation of the outward appearance of smoking a pipe - lots of smoke, no relights, etc.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
My doctor tells me to not intend to do so. My lungs concur.
It's certainly not the best idea. I always try to avoid it when smoking a pipe, and for that matter, breathing the secondhand smoke or exposing others to it. It's not hard to mitigate the risk factors without compromising one's enjoyment of pipes and tobacco.

Reactions: dottlejockey

john3music

Lurker
Jan 31, 2024
Waco, Texas
john3music.com
Hi! Have you guys tried or is smoking using the "breath method"? I find it quite good, easy and more flavorful. The only con for me is that I seem to crave to smoke more. Lol

Your thoughts?

Pretty sure it's 'breath' without the "e". I've been wrong before....
Indeed. I use the Breathe Method when I get some gurgling from moisture build up. I hardly ever run a pipe cleaner through the stem with that method it works that good.

Grumio

Lurker
Apr 15, 2024
Fort Worth, TX
I've always been under the impression that the breath method is just a way to regulate cadence. I've never actually inhaled any smoke into my lungs or even down my throat. My method would be like if you have a straw in your mouth and as you breath in through your nose, you lightly suck air into the straw, and then as you exhale, you lightly push air out of the straw. The back of my tongue still "locks" my airway.

Is this not right?

john3music

Lurker
Jan 31, 2024
Waco, Texas
john3music.com
I've always been under the impression that the breath method is just a way to regulate cadence. I've never actually inhaled any smoke into my lungs or even down my throat. My method would be like if you have a straw in your mouth and as you breath in through your nose, you lightly suck air into the straw, and then as you exhale, you lightly push air out of the straw. The back of my tongue still "locks" my airway.

Is this not right?
I suppose you could use it to regulate cadence. I primarily use it when my pipe gurgles due to moisture at the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes I’ll use the method to regulate the ember from burning too hot or keep it from going out.

Reactions: kcghost

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Is this not right?
Correct, the breathing is a metronome for drawing. You don't actually use the inhale to draw.