PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Yesterday I received notice that Michael Glukler was shutting down Briar Blues. I don't know Michael, other than to have purchased an assortment of pipes from him over the years, but in my experience, he was always stand-up and a man of integrity. Our hobby is a bit diminished every time something like this happens. Best of luck in the future Michael.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Yes that is too bad. This is a very small community and dare I say a dying art. Pipe smoking specifically not tobacco generally. I read a market report for tobacco industry through 2026 and there is huge growth potential. The growth comes from cigarettes and international. There is some growth in international across the board in terms of tobacco type for people to experience the American dream from newly affluent internationals. At least how I understand it. Its a $90b industry and expected to grow to about $100b to $115b depending on the report. I had considered getting my TTB, posting a bond, and hanging my shingle but for now I'll just give my blends to friends and family. Seems a lot more fun as a hobby than a business.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
We are lucky in the UK that we have some great online Tobacconists, the nearest B&M is 30 miles south of me a doesn't stock many blends and only stocks a few Pipes, of course we are lucky to have great Blenders in Kendal, I do feel like it's the beginning of the end, not many of my generation smokes pipes and I'm 68 now, I only know of one pipe smoker locally and he has one pipe (a Falcon) and only smokes one blend, Condor, then there is a pipe collector who only collects rare Meerschaums and has never smoked a pipe in his life.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
We are lucky in the UK that we have some great online Tobacconists, the nearest B&M is 30 miles south of me a doesn't stock many blends and only stocks a few Pipes, of course we are lucky to have great Blenders in Kendal, I do feel like it's the beginning of the end, not many of my generation smokes pipes and I'm 68 now, I only know of one pipe smoker locally and he has one pipe (a Falcon) and only smokes one blend, Condor, then there is a pipe collector who only collects rare Meerschaums and has never smoked a pipe in his life.
@tobakenist I'm 41 and I don't know many pipe smokers my age and younger. There's a young lad named James in Chesterfield who smokes pipes and I met a few clay pipe smoking re-enactors with the Sealed Knot, Redcoats & Revolutionaries etc. I gave one of the Sealed Knot re-enactors I met at the Battle of Nantwich last January (who normally smokes roll-ups) a clay pipe of baccy and said he really enjoyed it, getting into character!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Businesses are always a gamble. The good ones go out of business as often as the not-so-good ones.

A couple I knew who built a successful business and eventually sold it for enough to retire in luxury quietly admitted that you could plan to try for success, but success always arrives unexpectedly and to some degree inexplicably.

Reactions: gamzultovah

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I received that note, too, and was sorry to see it. Mike sold me this amazing, numbered Peterson. The gold plating is wearing off the sterling silver band, otherwise, it's flawless. It cost me -- I can't remember. But it was very affordable back then and today it's priceless. He didn't mention anything about whether he would continue the Briar Blues YouTube channel. Hopefully he will....

1689611978421.png