PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Does anyone know what happened to Briar Books Press? I enjoyed so many of the publications Gary Schrier produced.

(Apologies if this has been answered already but I've had no luck finding anything using the search function.)

Thanks.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Gary informed a friend of mine last month that the balance of his inventory had been remaindered to the pulper, apparently meaning that the remaining stock of all Briar Books Press books has been disposed of.
What a shame. He had some wonderful items. Too bad he couldn't have found a different way to dispose of the remainder stock other than destroying it.

Reactions: jguss

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What a shame. He had some wonderful items. Too bad he couldn't have found a different way to dispose of the remainder stock other than destroying it.

Indeed.

Sales would have to be below storage cost to justify that, even on paper. Then there's the emotional component: hard to imagine someone in the PipeWorld wouldn't have paid pulp value to simply give the books away at pipe shows (or similar) if they'd known of the situation.

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
This is truly sad news, but understandable if the business was financially unsustainable.

I tried to email Gary using the address from the old web site but the message bounced.

Regardless of how things ended, I'll always be thankful for the work and dedication Gary put into Briar Books Press. My bookshelf is much richer because of his efforts.

Quicksilver66

Lurker
Apr 21, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
I'm sad to hear this as well. I have a number of his publications, including the Dunhill "About Smoke" catalogue and the Peterson book, amongst others. I'm a bibliophile and these books were a labour of love. Gary is a gentleman, bibliophile and pipe smoker - I can think of no higher compliment.

Reactions: Nevaditude