PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
I feel you on this one. A few months ago, I purchased my first Brigham and loved it (an Italian made Tundra Shape 29--Author.)

I liked it so much, that I decided that I wanted more in my collection and bought three more-- all Italian made-- a Rhodesian, a poker, and a Canadian. They all smoke like a dream, but every now and then, the distillator gets stuck in the Rhodesian and the poker (both are the Algonquian line.)

I couldn't figure it out. Most of the time they are fine, but every so often the distillator gets stuck and I have to pull it out with pliers (I did ruin one distillator.) I knew this wasn;t right, but I wanted to try to fix it on my own because I love the look of the pipes.

I read on Reddit that someone took a 3/16" drill bit and slowly twisted it inside and it pulled out a bur. So I tried it on both pipes and removed a bur in both stems. They seem to be fine, at least so far.

I know this is a problem with Brigham and they are trying to get it fixed. I also think it's bogus that their quality control is allowing these pipes to be sent out and sold.

Hopefully, I managed to fix mine. But sending them back was probably the right thing to do. If this drill bit trick did fix it, I'll probably still buy more of the modern Brighams. I like them enough to kind of focus my ever growing collection on the brand.
The thing I don't get is, how come Brigham is asleep at the wheel on this issue? Sounds very dumb to me.

Reactions: seanv

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
I have the same problem with my 1 dot Voyageur. I have to give the filter a bit of a shove for it to get in place which causes small splinters of the maple wood to appear (on the outside of it, thankfully not on the inside of the filter!). Real stiff to get it out afterwards. Never liked this pipe anyways, but I didn't choose it myself...

I dont have this problem with my other made in Italy 2 dot Algonquin and 3 dot Mountaineer. They work like a dream thus far.
Try the 3/16 drill bit, and gently ease the diameter of the shaft where the filter is inserted. Softly, softly, catchee monkey.

Reactions: seanv

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Well, I thought about the comment about the Brigham v Savinelli. Did some searching about the place and ended up getting a Savinelli Trevi Rusticated (606 KS).
The rustication has been well done, and I like the larger bowl. It seems to present well.
So time will tell what kind of performance it will produce.
Maybe some of you chaps have a Savinelli, and could pass a comment on them.
I’m very new but I have a cheap Brigham , a $100 Ropp, and a 3 cheap Rossi’s ( made by SavinellI) And My $100+ Savinelli proper out performs them all In terms of build craftsmanship and smokability the draw is good and it stays cooler than the others and I get better flavor.
Though for a cheap pipe around $50 my Brigham (with no insert) smokes great , as I’ve said in former posts I only smoke Burleys in it so heat isn’t really a factor and without the filter the draw is great…
Im sure more experienced pipers can chime in on the reliability of Savinelli.

I am dissatisfied with my Ropp though as it heats up like mad luckily it’s a church warden so I can hold it by the stem but that heat effects the flavor might have to switch that to a Burley smoker as well.

Reactions: SunriseBoy