Bringham Help - Anyone seen a 4 Dot with this stem?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Hi All, my ATPA (All Things Pipe Addiction) has reached new heights. I’ve now started buying up all the estate pipes I can find and begun a little restoration hobby. So much to learn, but I‘m getting pretty good at basic restoration. I came across this nice little Bringham and was wondering if anyone has seen a 4 Dot with a stem like this? I can’t seem to find them in any of their pipe charts or history. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2825.jpeg
    IMG_2825.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Jacob74

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I've never seen a Brigham with that kind of stem before. My guess is that it's likely a replacement stem of some kind. But I could be wrong of course. I always thought that Brigham used regular fishtail stems.

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I was wondering about that, but who and how would you replace the stem with the 4 dots? And the fact that Jacob provided another link to a Bringham 2 dot with the same stem, it's likely that they made them at one point. I've tried to find more details about the dental bit and it looks like it came from a company called Falcon and was made for those who had dentures. But Bringham's is different than the Falcons. Bringham 4 Dot Dental Bit js1.jpgBringham 4 Dot Dental Bit js2.jpgBringham 4 Dot Dental Bit js3.jpgBringham 4 Dot Dental Bit js4.jpg@JimInks @sablebrush52 can you guys help out here?

Attaching pics of it now that it's been cleaned and restored

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I think it's an 80's or maybe even 90's era pipe. They changed the dots system in 1980 to 7 dots as opposed to 6. The Bringham label was also changed then. This lasted until 2001, when they were no longer made in Canada, moving to Italy. I just can't find anything on this stem. I met the Bringham rep at my local B&M. Maybe I'll reach out to him.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Send this guy your question. You will get the answer from as close to the source as you will find. Charles is a great guy and has a lot of knowledge about Brigham. Does authorized repairs and everything.

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Send this guy your question. You will get the answer from as close to the source as you will find. Charles is a great guy and has a lot of knowledge about Brigham. Does authorized repairs and everything.

Emailing back and forth with Charles. He suggests that this is a custom stem that was made for someone when Bringham still did manufacturing here in Toronto. You could get stems replaced and customized if you were so inclined. Anyway, nice find! I have another strange Bringham with a Twin Bore stem I bought from the same guy that is not a size Charles has seen before. He tells me that it could have come from Herb Bringham himself who after retirement would often drop by and make one-offs. They would always be rated as 5 Dots. I asked whether it meant this pipe was work 1M$. He said that was unlikely!

Bringham 5 Dot.jpgBringham 5 Dot2.jpg