24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Micah Redmond Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 7, 2016
The Danish Pipe Shop must have lost their exclusive rights to sell it. Can’t think why else it would become available
Not exactly. From private correspondence shared with me about 2 years ago, the Danish Pipe Shop indicated that, since they were no longer selling tobacco internationally, they were willing to allow Gawith to remake it for the American market.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've been working my way through the tin and am liking it a bit better, not enough to spring for more when it does drop. The flakes are considerably longer and thicker though not as wide than say a Capstan Blue flake. The latter will easily fold and stuff (my preferred method) into a medium-sized pipe. The former needs a much larger bowl to accommodate one flake.

Reactions: MattRVA
Oct 7, 2016
I've been working my way through the tin and am liking it a bit better, not enough to spring for more when it does drop. The flakes are considerably longer and thicker though not as wide than say a Capstan Blue flake. The latter will easily fold and stuff (my preferred method) into a medium-sized pipe. The former needs a much larger bowl to accommodate one flake.
I have never had this particular Gawith offering. On another forum, Ernie of which city cigar is strongly advising people not familiar with the blend to fully rub it out after using scissors to cut 1/2 or so straps.

Personally, I have yet to meet a Flake I can't fold and stuff in a wide bowled pipe, But some are less finicky rubbed out or cubed

Reactions: jpberg

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I bought two tins at the Mule Town pipe show this weekend. Could have bought a LOT more but wanted to ensure as many folks that wanted some could buy it. They had a tin open at their booth, I packer'er up and enjoyed it for a good long while. Typical SG/GH flake. Good stuff.

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
The Danish Pipe Shop must have lost their exclusive rights to sell it. Can’t think why else it would become available. For a short while Gawith Hoggarth sold ‘Demerara Flake’ here in England, after the BSF got pulled. That didn’t last long either.
In all honesty, I probably prefer GH’s Best Brown #2 to both BSF & the short lived Demerara Flake. To me, that one actually tastes like ‘brown sugar’.
Nope, the sutliff crew asked Gawith, while over at their factory, if they could make a run of it. They told them yes, with the approval of Nikolaj at the Danish pipe shop. Nikolaj approved it and now we have another batch coming to the U.S.

I'm not sure this is a regular thing. I believe it's a one time thing at the moment.

I asked the Sutliff guys that were at Muletown and that's what they told me.
They sold some early at the pipe show. - should be releasing everywhere they said.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
IT was good! I sampled some out of the tin they had opened. It will be hard to let the two I bought age very much.....

:D

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Ah well if its not a 'trade secret' then yes I confirm there were discussions with Sutliff (although believe this was at a trade show, but may have been continued at a factory visit later) as to whether we could make Brown Sugar and they could sell it. Don't hold me to this but don't think its a one off thing.
Hello! Is this going to be available in the UK? There aren't enough Latakia-free blends with Oriental in them available at the moment, so I'm going to be very excited if it is.

Either way, really appreciate you being so proactive on the forum. Thanks!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I bought two tins at the Mule Town pipe show this weekend. Could have bought a LOT more but wanted to ensure as many folks that wanted some could buy it. They had a tin open at their booth, I packer'er up and enjoyed it for a good long while. Typical SG/GH flake. Good stuff.
Might explain where the guy that put it up on tinbids for $50 a pop got it. 😂

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss