PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I’m sure that I’m not the only one that suffers from tongue burn after brushing your pearly whites. I want to be clear that this is not tongue bite reacting with the toothpaste. I’ve discovered that cigar/pipe tobacco has a Ph of approximately 5.5. This changes your mouth Ph on the acidic side. I’ve started dipping my toothbrush into baking soda after a dab of toothpaste on it. This minor change has relieved and mostly removed my tongue burn by balancing out my mouth Ph. I wanted to share this with you in case anyone had been toughing it out. No need anymore. Please let me know what you think after testing it out and let’s hear what you use to settle the toothpaste burn.

Dublin Old Man

Might Stick Around
Aug 22, 2020
Dublin, Ohio
Try Biotene toothpaste. I have no tongue burning when brushing with Biotene. With other toothpastes, I experience some tongue irritation.

It may be that many toothpastes have excessive amounts of artificial sweetners or that they have some other ingredient that reacts with the remnants of pipe smoking.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Sometimes this happens to me. I think it’s just from lightly burning your tongue during smoking and it’s still sensitive when you go to brush. I just take note and don’t worry about it.
It’s definitely not from tongue bite. Since it’s occurred each time. Since I started using the baking soda it has stopped. Now that’s no longer an issue I can enjoy but I wasn’t worried about it.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I only experience sensitivity if I use like a peppermint, something very minty.

My only problem is the roof of my mouth feels slightly rough and irritated with straight VAs, so I’ll need to try and see if brushing with some baking soda also helps when smoking VAs. too.

Thanks for sharing... :)

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I for sure get the tongue burn after pipe smoking. Drives me crazy but worth it!
That sounds like getting your drawing into a rhythm. I found that angling the smoke upwards to the roof of your mouth allows for the flavor to spread throughout your tongue and get less heat and more taste. Give it a try.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm a firm believer is too much brushing will destroy the teeth. Once in the morning, and floss at night and that's it. When I first came to America, I didn't have insurance. Went good 15 years without going to a dentist. After first job with insurance, went for a check up. No cavity or anything. One thing I have is good choppers. Tho, opening beer bottles with my teeth did crack number of teeth.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know if this helps. But I don't get this issue and I use a non whitening baking soda based toothpaste. So either I just don't have that issue or that kind of tooth paste doesn't aggravate that issue. For one I don't trust whitening toothpaste I can't imagine it's good for your teeth and also perfectly white teeth give me a bit of the uncanny valley effect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find if tobacco is harsh, or a little harsh and edgy, it can sting when I brush my teeth. The worst offenders are over-flavored aromatic blends. The worst case was a holiday blend years ago with a bunch of holiday spices like cinnamon that burnt like the devil and again when I brushed my teeth, and worst when I brushed my teeth with peppermint flavor toothpaste or the like.

Most of this all but disappeared when I went to non-aromatics, even full strength blends. I think it is the flavorings burning that give the worst burn.

The usual advice applies. Dry the tobacco somewhat. Don't pack too tight. Don't puff, sip. And smoke unflavored or lightly flavored blends.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
I’m sure that I’m not the only one that suffers from tongue burn after brushing your pearly whites. I want to be clear that this is not tongue bite reacting with the toothpaste. I’ve discovered that cigar/pipe tobacco has a Ph of approximately 5.5. This changes your mouth Ph on the acidic side. I’ve started dipping my toothbrush into baking soda after a dab of toothpaste on it. This minor change has relieved and mostly removed my tongue burn by balancing out my mouth Ph. I wanted to share this with you in case anyone had been toughing it out. No need anymore. Please let me know what you think after testing it out and let’s hear what you use to settle the toothpaste burn.
It is recommended to wait a minimum of 30 minutes after smoking before you brush your teeth. This is to save the enamel on your teeth.