PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is my redneck buffing station. Got it on casters so I can shove it under the work bench.

100_6097-800x600-600x450.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great setup ejames, I was going to go the box/light switch route myself but found a toggle switch that worked in my box. I have a decent work top (yard sale) and use a piece of corian to protect. I was thinking about bolting my motor to the corian for stability. I love home-grown setups!

Some great info on that FAQ and some that seems to be a bit overkill for the purposes of pipe making. The one piece of advice that I've personally found to be absolutely true is to use a very light touch while buffing, it is amazing how much of a difference of only a few ounces of pressure can make.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I need to rework my buffers a little ,need some dust shield/catchers.Because of where I keep it under that part of the work bench I don't have much room to work with. Eventually I would like to have some sort of vacuam dust extraction system.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Midland doesn't have a web-presence; but they may be willing to box up a buffer for you - only thing is that it will cost you an arm and a leg to have it shipped from Canada...

There stock also revolves fairly regularly, it can be hit and miss as to what you can find; although personally, I find something useful to buy any time I wander in.
Anyway, the contact info is:

Midland Liquidators

1234 Kingsway Ave. (Honestly!)

Vancouver, British Columbia

Canada

V5V 3E1

Ph. 604-875-9722

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
need to rework my buffers a little ,need some dust shield/catchers.Because of where I keep it under that part of the work bench I don't have much room to work with. Eventually I would like to have some sort of vacuam dust extraction system.
Those white cloth strings do add up.

How do you attach the pad to the motor arm? (send you a PM on that)

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
I bought an adjustable speed 6" grinder added an arbor extension then removed all protective covers. This gives me a lot of clearance to buff. I usually slow the speed down when working on stems with compounds to keep from removing to much material. Then switch wheels to wax wheel (I found a very soft wheel) and speed it up for final polish. I still the use the other side for grinding. As mentioned above "pressure" does make a difference as well.

Buffers are great tools, whether it costs hundreds or a few bucks. I have not had much luck with dremels for buffing, lots of other uses.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
regular sanders/polishers/bench grinders tend to spin way too fast for buffing, and that includes Dremels which are just too fast. You really need a wheel that spins at about 2000rpm for picking up carnauba with, then you need to slow it down to 1500 or so to apply the wax and buff. I found a great tool which is actually a hand held engraver but comes with small buffing wheels (great for getting into awkward corners on bowls and shanks) and even with this tool I only use it at the lowest speed setting of 1 (highest is 6) which is about 1800 rpm. Tool is made by Powercraft, often sold in Europe in Aldi stores, may be available outside of Europe via Amazon or Ebay
2622617760032963306kRLUng_ph.jpg

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Buffing speed for nice result and without the risk of burn lucite/ebonite but as well the briar is assumed to be under 1000 rpm. 700 will work perfectelty.The problem is obtain this speed without electronic parts but mechanically.

Anyway i simply use a driller with electronic shifter.Isn't the best choice but works perfectely and i can buffing my pipes with carnauba with no problems.Guess you've seen some pic of my pipes,well they are buffed as i told before

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Your pipes are a testament that the lower speeds produce stunning results Maurizio.

I continue to get by with a hand drill in a vise. Funds being as slim as they are for me at present leave me choosing between tools I'd like to have and tobacco.
For the now, growing the cellar wins hands down!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's my ejames inspired setup. Spins at 1750 with a 6" wheel and seems to do just fine. Not convenient as a dual arbor machine, but fits my current needs just fine and was virtually free.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I have the same setup as stephenoc, and it's worked great for me. The 4'' buffing wheels are good the grinder at that speed of 3300+ rpms.

Status
Not open for further replies.